fr0zen

Application Version Discovery and Deployment based on Configuration Baseline possible?

Question

Hello,

I am hoping someone can post there ideas on this.

Goal: Uninstall a manually installed Application from the Environment and Install the latest install. In our case we have different versions of application installed in our environment. The computers which have the older version need to uninstall the old app and re-install the new version.

I need to create a collection with users who don't have the right version of the software (We have multiple old versions installed). Configuration Baseline can create a collection of all computers which are non-compliant based on the file version, but it also add's computer which don't have the file as "Non-Compliant". I only want the collection of computers which HAVE the file, but its the wrong version.

Is there a way I can create a collection which checks if:

1.) File exists

--- If it exists, move to Step 2, if it doesn't then the system does not need to be part of the collection

2.) If File Exists, check file version.

--- Greater or equal to the required version number = Compliant, and doesn't need to be part of the collection

--- File version is lowered then the required version = Non-Compliant, system gets added to the Collection

3.) Collection runs the script we have to backup and install the new software.

Compliance baseline would be perfect, but except it makes a system non-compliant if the file doesn't exist, i can't get it to SKIP the compliance test if the file doesn't exist in the first place.

Hoping for a genius answer :D

1 answer to this question

or i guess i could just use a collection with a query :unsure:

this seems to work perfectly.... so looks like i answered my question :D

select SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceID,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceType,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Name,SMS_R_SYSTEM.SMSUniqueIdentifier,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceDomainORWorkgroup,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Client from SMS_R_System inner join SMS_G_System_SoftwareFile on SMS_G_System_SoftwareFile.ResourceID = SMS_R_System.ResourceId where SMS_G_System_SoftwareFile.FileName = "test.exe" and SMS_G_System_SoftwareFile.FileVersion < "9.7.500.702"