WolleXPC

TS Variable OSDComputername doesn't update pc name

Question

Hello,

in my task sequence I use a variable "OSDcomputername" with the value "%_SMSTSMachineName%" to update the computername automatically.

The computer information are imported under "devices".

I tested the ts variable/ step after "partition disk" and after "Apply operating system" but the computer ask for the computername.

Where is the problem?

Edit: Only when I activate the step "apply windows settings", the client get the imported name of the sccm database.

Because we use OEM Keys, I must disable this step.

Thanks for your help.

Wolfgang

6 answers to this question

What is it that you are trying to do? Because OSDcomputername can be used to change the value of _SMSTSMachineName, so by doing this you're not changing anything...

Hi Peter,

thanks for your answer.

With the OSDComputer variable I am supposed to set the client name automatically through sccm. The client should get the name of the imported device-object with the corresponding MAC address.

How can I implement this step?

hello, did you uncheck "use media hook" when creating your boot image if you used mdt integration?

For me I fill the OSDcomputername variable only for the new computers, if the computer already exist in the sccm database it will keep the existing name.

now I use the Apply Windows Settings step also, but don't have a key as we use a key management server

how do you manage your key after that?maybe could you post some screenshot to give a more clearer idea of what your doing and what's wrong.

good luck

hello, did you uncheck "use media hook" when creating your boot image if you used mdt integration?

For me I fill the OSDcomputername variable only for the new computers, if the computer already exist in the sccm database it will keep the existing name.

now I use the Apply Windows Settings step also, but don't have a key as we use a key management server

how do you manage your key after that?maybe could you post some screenshot to give a more clearer idea of what your doing and what's wrong.

good luck

Where in SCCM/ MDT can I configure "use media hook"? I couldn't find this options in the creation of a TS.

In the screenshot you see that the TS step "Apply Windows Settings" is disabled because we use OEM keys. When I activate this step the client get the correct name which is listed in the sccm device collection. The problem is that than the client will ask for a serial key.

post-17438-0-55503400-1353678578_thumb.jpg

I hope you can undestand my problem.

Thanks for your help

Wolfgang

You need to use the Apply Windows Settings -step, because that's the moment it will write things like the computername to the answerfile... See also threads like this: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/configmgrgeneral/thread/af5a8b11-3fe2-4603-b87f-9f0e914357e8