oyvindskj

Installing Microsoft Essentials & do a registry change after install

Question

Hi! I'm trying to install Microsoft Essentials 2012 using sccm 2012 Application. I create one deployment type that install the .exe file. This is working. It's installed as system. Done. But I need to change som settings in the registry(current user). I've created a seccond deployment type that runs regedit and set is to run as user, changed priority to run this first and dependencies to install Essentials first. When I try to install the Application I'm getting error that it needs eleveting. Why is this happening? Does the "run as user" setting on the regedit deployment type override the "run for system" on the dependent deployment type? Does enyone have any other suggestions to how to change the registry for current user when deploying Applications? I'd like to not use GPO etc to change registry. The registry change I'm doing is to Accept UELA and filetypes and turn of signing in to Live messenger...... A snapp shot of the deployment types is Attached.

post-17923-0-30211300-1352975099_thumb.png

4 answers to this question

You have probably a GPO that prevents the user from running regedit.exe. Use the "reg add" command instead, or a simple powershell script.

md "HKCU:\Software\Test01" -force | out-null

New-ItemProperty ("HKCU:\Software\Test01") -name "testentry" -value "myvallue" -type STRING -Force -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue | out-null

You have probably a GPO that prevents the user from running regedit.exe. Use the "reg add" command instead, or a simple powershell script.

md "HKCU:\Software\Test01" -force | out-null

New-ItemProperty ("HKCU:\Software\Test01") -name "testentry" -value "myvallue" -type STRING -Force -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue | out-null

No, users can run regedit and have full Access to current user. If I run the installer without the regedit deployment type and then run the regedit Application in a seperate Application it Works fine. This really bites! It's when I add the regedit to the installer and set dependencies it's stops. Error 800702E4.

No, users can run regedit and have full Access to current user. If I run the installer without the regedit deployment type and then run the regedit Application in a seperate Application it Works fine. This really bites! It's when I add the regedit to the installer and set dependencies it's stops. Error 800702E4.

btw, It's the installer thats stops. Not the regedit Application.

Got this running now. :) In my program installer application deployment I'd set to "install for system if resource is device: otherwise install for user". When I kick of the application my registry tweek is run as user with dependencies connected to the program installer. My program installer deployment type is therefor run as user.(doh!) Changed installer to run as system only and it works.