agulbrand

WDS 2008r2

Question

Ok so i need some suggestions!

I have a Dell server running Server 2008 R2. I have dhcp, dns, and wds all running off the same machine.

I have it hooked to a cisco sg200 switch.

I can boot into PXE but it is slow. I have tried throttling down the switch but didnt work,

What else can I do to speed it up. Im in a crunch to get the machine working fully as im about to have a major 300+ unit ship out that must be imaged.

3 answers to this question

if you have 300 servers to setup then why are you not using MDT 2012 or System Center 2012 Configuration Manager ?

there may be some tftpd registry settings that you can configure have you checked..

Anyweb has a point; you might want to look into the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT) because you can integrate it with WDS since WDS supports multicasting – especially to do a deployment that large. For example, after you successfully capture your reference image with a capture utility of your choice (I recommend ImageX or MDT’s Sysprep and Capture Task Sequence) you would import it into your deployment share within MDT. After you have your customized image added into your deployment share, you will create a task sequence that contains all your necessary requirements. If necessary, you can also add applications and drivers to your deployment share to have them pushed out with your image if you like.

Next, you will boot to your lite touch deployment from the workstation in which you are imaging (not your reference machine). In the Microsoft Solution Accelerator GUI, you will select your captured image and the task sequence. Enter any necessary information (domain join settings, language, time zone etc.) Follow the on screen prompts and let the deployment proceed.

After the deployment completes successfully, the system should reboot into Windows. To help visualize some of the steps I have outlined above, I recommend the following three videos which explain the deployment process using MDT:

· Deployment Day Session 1: Introduction to MDT 2012

· Deployment Day Session 2: MDT 2012 Advanced

· Deployment Day Session 3: Deployment using WDS

Let us know if you have any questions!

Jessica

Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro