jamesloker

USMT in SCCM 2012

Question

I know there are a few guides out there with how to do this but i really couldnt find one that helped. So im writing this in the hope it will help at least one person.

I will set it out in easy to follow steps as best I can.

Stage 1: Create the USMT Package and prepare System Role

Im not going to type this out again, im just going to point you to the excellent USMT package creation tutorial on the web site currently

http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4512-using-sccm-2012-rc-in-a-lab-part-8-deploying-windows-7-x64/

Add System Role for State Migration Point

1. Click Administration > Servers and Site System Roles
  2. Right Click on the server you wish to use
  3. Add Site System Roles
  4. Click next and put a tick in the State Migration Point.
  5. Follow the wizard.

Stage 2: Collecting the information

The following stage assumes you have already deployed an operating system to the destination computer or the computer is new, on the domain and listed as a device in SCCM 2012.

1. Open SCCM 2012 Console
  2. Open Assets and Compliance > User State Migration
  3. Click on Create Computer Association in the ribbon along the top.
  4. Under the Computer Association tab. Next to Source Computer box Click Search, Click Search again. Use the filter to narrow down to the computer you will use as the source. Click on the Computer and click ok.
  5. Repeat step 4 for the destination computer.
  6. Click on User Accounts Tab along the top.
    The Migration Behavior should be self explantory. If you wish to transfer just specific user accounts (default) click on the yellow star underneath this drop down to select from Active Directory which users you which to capture from this computer.
  7. Click OK

Your association is now complete.

Stage 3: Isolate the Computers

1. Click on Assets and Compliance > Devices
  2. Find the source computer
  3. Right click on the computer > Add Selected Items > To New Collection
  4. When the wizard for a new collection appears. Call the collection Capture User Data (or something similar)
  5. Click next all the way through the rest of the wizard.
  6. Repeat the above steps for the Destination computer but call the collection Restore User Data

Stage 4: Create the capture Task Sequence

1. Click on Software Library
  2. Click on Task Sequences
  3. Click Create Task Sequence along the top
  4. Create a new custom sequence > Next
  5. Call it Capture Task Sequence or something similar
  6. Click next to everything
  7. Click Finish
  8. Right Click on Capture Task Sequence and click Edit
  9. Along the top click Add > User State > Request State Store
  10. Make sure Capture state from computer is selected and put a tick in If Computer Account fails..
  11. Click Add > User State > Capture User State
  12. Browse and select USMT 4 for the package. Capture all user profiles using standard options. Enable verbose logging & Skip files should be checked. Capture using VSS option selected
  13. In options tab Check continue on error.
  14. Click Add > User State > Release State Store
  15. Click ok

Deploy this to the Capture User Data collection you created earlier.

Stage 5: Create the restore Task Sequence

1. Click Create Task Sequence again
  2. Create a new custom sequence > next
  3. Call it Restore Task Sequence or something similar
  4. Click next to everything and click finish
  5. Right click on Restore Task Sequence and click edit
  6. Add > User State > Request State Store
  7. make sure Restore from comuter is selected and put a tick in If Computer Account fails
  8. Click Add > User State > Restore User State
  9. Browse and select USMT 4 for the package. Restore all user profiles. Check Continue if some files cannot be restore and enable verbose logging.
  10. Add > User State > Release State Store
  11. Click OK

Deploy this to the Restore User Data collection you created earlier

Stage 6: Capture the Source Machine

1. On the source machine, open System Center 2012 Software Center. If the task sequence isnt there yet, leave it for a few minutes and press F5 to refresh. If it is there, click on it and click Install. A warning asking if your sure you want to install and operating system. Just ok this as your not really installing an operating system
  2. Leave it to do its stuff.

Once its finished we're on to Stage 7: Restore to Destination Computer

1. On the destination computer, Open software Center as above and look for the restore task sequence. When it appears, Install and click ok the message about an operating system
  2. Leave it to do its stuff

Hopefully, your data should now be on the new machine.

• Like 1

wanted to add that this works but in my case I had to modify the restore task sequence to include additional variable for OSDMigrateAdditionalRestoreOptions to exclude all and only include domain users. ( we just wanted domain users restored on the other computer)

Is it possible to create a single Task Sequence that runs on the Destination Computer and reaches out to the Source Computer to copy the user data to the SMP and restore it from there to the Destination Computer?

I guess I could put together a script to copy files, but USMT does stuff much better with configuring the profiles properly. :)

I want to know that user migration may be same bit.

Like I have windows 7 32 bit and I already capture the user profiles as mentioned above in the article .So I want to deploy in Windows 8 32 only or I can restore the all user profile on both version i.e 32 bit and 64 bit.

I am new in USMT process. Please help me out for this concern.

Hi,

I have a bunch of Windows 7 Pro machines that I need to do an in-place upgrade to Windows 7 Enterprise. I have a good W7Ent image ready to deploy using SCCM, but I was hoping there is a way to capture all user files prior to running the in-place upgrade. I’ve never used USMT. I understand that I need to add SMP to my SCCM2012 installation and then run a task sequence to capture user settings. What I’m not sure is how to designate a network location where the capture with user data would be stored until the W7Ent task sequence runs and injects the user data along with the new OS. Is it even possible?

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you.