Sir_Timbit

Move to new SCCM2007 server & SQL server

Hi there,

I'm trying to get a clearer idea of the steps involved in doing a side by side migration of SCCM 2007. I've taken over an old SCCM 2007 server that has several issues and I'd like to start over from scratch with an entirely new server. The backup/restore process won't work for me because the previous setup had everything dumped on C and I'm setting up separate drives/partitions for SQL/SCCM/OS/WSUS, etc. Right now moving to SCCM2012 isn't an option for us either, just 2007.. I'm also moving from a Win2003 32bit to Win2008 R2 64bit environment. Based on what I've read, that means I'm looking at doing a side by side upgrade. My understanding is that I would install the new server a new primary server, then attach it to the old SCCM server as a child site, let it propogate settings down, then disconnect and shut down the old SCCM server.

So...I've gone through various steps here and elsewhere. The new server has SQL Server 2008 R2 and everything's configured OK as far as permissions, etc. I ran the SCCM2007 Prerequisite checker and everything passed, so I guess I'm ready to actually install SCCM 2007 SP2 then R3 afterward.

I guess my main question is...How do I get all my existing clients to see/point to the new SCCM server? It will have a new site code. Do people use startup scripts to uninstall the old client and reinstall. The previous client install used the autoassignment switch. I know you have to change IP boundaries between the old and new SCCM servers. I read elsewhere there was a ADM/GPO to set the site code but this apparently had issues?

I'm not worried about packages, advertisements, inventories, reports or anything else. What I would like is for the existing collections to come over, which are mostly static. But my primary concern is to get all our existing clients to see the new SCCM server.

The existing SCCM hierarchry is pretty simple. All in one box, one central site, one primary site, so this will be the only new addition.

Hope someone can help. I've been searching around but have had a hard time finding a similar scenario...maybe I'm not asking the right question!

Thanks in advance,

Sir_Timbit

Hi,You can use a script like this:http://loguinfo.blogspot.se/2010/07/sccm-client-reassign-sitecode.html to use in a Group policy for instance to change site code. It can also be that you need to reinstall the client using the RESETKEYINFORMATION switch as you move the client to a new site with a new ceritifcate. When you say that your Collections are static, do you mean that you use direct membership, beacuse that will not be replicated down as the clients are not visible in your Child site.

Thanks for the info. The old server has a few dynamic collections, but yes, most of the older ones which we still use are based on direct membership, from using either the Direct Membership wizard or by "adding resources" to a collection.

So, given what you're telling me, is there any reason to make the new SCCM server a child of the existing server? The collection info was basically the one thing I was interested in moving down, but it sounds like that won't happen. If that's the case, I should just run that script and start adding the collections again, based on dynamic rather than direct membership this time.

What about the "All Systems" collection--the one provided by SCCM itself? Will that replicate down to the new SCCM server?