First, thank you all for putting together such a complete forum on SCCM and related topics as they have been essential in my daily duties.

We are attempting to deploy custom normal.dotm, blank.potx, and normalemail.dotm files which are configured for Verdana font. So far, the following items have been completed:

• 1. Created customized W7 Image on VMWare
  • 2. Installed Office 2010 SP1 with custom (normal.dotm, blank.potx, normalemail.dotm) located at c:\users\%username%\appdata\microsoft\templates
  • 3. Ran Sysprep by running following .CMD <C:\windows\system32\sysprep\sysprep.exe /oobe /shutdown /generalize /unattend:C:\windows\system32\sysprep\unattend.xml>
  • 4. Captured .wim using ImageX
  • 5. Deploying OSD via SCCM 2012

All customizations are deployed properly to all users who login except for the Office Template files (CopyProfile=True in unattended.xml).

The path c:\users\%username%\appdata\microsoft\temlates is not copied to each user who logs in. To rectify this, we added a RunOnce registry entry on our Reference Machine to create the path and copy the necessary files.

We thought this was the fix, but once Word is launched for the first time it renames the normal.dotm file to .old.

Microsoft has published the following article to address this issue (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2408845) which does work on a per user basis. However, we need to ensure this registry entry is present for any user who logs into the computer.

At this point, we have tried also using the RunOnce function to import the reg key ("HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Word\Options\MigrateNormalOnFirstBoot", 1, "REG_DWORD") but this has not worked in adding the Reg entry for each user.

Can we get some guidance on how to best deploy custom normal.dotm, blank.potx, and normalemail.dotm during OSD with SCCM 2012.

Thank you all!

Thank you for the response however this does not work per testing and sorry I did not include this in my initial post.

First, Office 2010 is part of the Core Image therefore the Office Customization Tool is not a factor in OSD.

However, we are also testing upgrading Office 2007 to 2010 and have tried the method you describe with no luck. For the upgrade to work, we just first deploy a script that adds ("HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Word\Options\MigrateNormalOnFirstBoot", 1, "REG_DWORD"), and then the Office 2010 setup.exe is ran. This method DOES work for an upgrade.

We are having problems deploying the core image which includes Office 2010 along with the custom fonts

Would it be possible to use a batch/cmd file to actually copy these files to destination directory at user login?

OR

Create an application that will copy the files to the directories and deploy it as required to a user group(the people who need it more than likely all users) so that wherever a user roams within your network it will install on their profile on any machine they log into!!

Rocket Man

We are running a script which copies the template files the the %appdata\microsoft\template folder. The problem is Word 2010 renames the existing file to normal.old upon first launch regardless if the existing .dotm file was created in 2010. Therefore, the registry entry which I referenced earlier must be added to prevent Word from renaming the existing template.

I need to know how to add a registry key for ALL USERS that log into a machine. Can this be done in my Core Image and if so how?

Thanks,