ABAdmin

OSD: WinPe resets at network driver load repeatedly

Hei all,

I am having a truly strange experience with our SCCM2012 server and a OSD to some desktops. Now, if I had just started with them I would have thought that I had the incorrect driver, but thats not the case here.

About a month back I started to configure replacement client desktops for the students. These machines would be going to the library, an intense environment for data. So to make things simple for myself, I took some old HP dx2250 Athlon pc's, installed a new PCI Wifi card and imaged them from SCCM with Win7 x32. I have completed all of them, no problem.

I then decided to expand on the usable machines and place several more in the common areas. First batch went well. But the second batch hit a hitch. When they were loading the WinPE environment, they repeatedly rebooted when the network drivers were been loaded. The machines are IDENTICAL in every way to the ones that had been imaged before. I tried booting them on different vlans, but the same issue happened on all. Finally I took one of them over to my work office to troubleshoot it and low and behold - it worked. I did no changes, just booted it from a different physical location. The vlans here are the same as in their previous location.

And now things go really weird. I brought over the last 3 and two of them did the same as the first. But not the last. No matter what I try, I cannot get the WinPE environment to load past the network driver load.

As mentioned before, the machine is identical to all the others that have been successful.

Are there any logs that I can check to follow up or do any of you have any tips for me?

Cheers & thanks in advance!

Anthony

You could just roll out the client to them or install manually....then roll out an OSD onto the live OS without PXE

It could be a work around for you.... and if it works and the SCCM DB picks them all up then you may not have any further issues with them in future with PXE etc..!

Quite possible in this case - its only one client left.

But it also defeats the aim of letting SCCM do all the work. This same solution will be used for my other distributed clients. And I do not look forward to going round to them all.

As an additional twist: I deleted unneeded Boot images and then refreshed the ones I wanted to keep. While I couldnt update to the same dx2250 client, I could do an OSD to clean VMs.

Question: Is it possible for drivers that had previously been loaded into the boot image to get coorrupted?

Update:

Ok, on some advice from a guru I deleted all my boot images except the two defualt original images. Refreshed these to the distribution point and then ran an OSD TS. And guess what, all the client types that had been giving me issues before (and which I had treated as seperate items) booted up the TS and loaded the OS completely. All except this dx2250...which might soon become an airborne variant.

The OSD TS was tested against the following:

VMware

Lenovo L520

Lenovo M90p

Lenovo M91p

Dell D531

HP 6710b

HP dx2250

I managed to ge the debug DOS prompt to load before the reboot on the dx2250 and found a very strange error: "Failed to get client identity (80004005) TSPxe"

Some googling turned up a possible solution: Reboot the SCCM server (http://social.techne...20-f7219a048b52)

But this didnt help me though. The dx2250 still wont take the image. Attached is the smsts.log file: smsts.log

Sooooo....any suggestions? This has gone over from a "need" to find a solution to a "i'm not gonna cop out now".

Got it working!

Found the solution here: "http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/configmgrosd/thread/6a25e331-2705-4cba-bf2c-bb7d9f16ebef/"

The Bios clock was wrong. Checked mine and sure enough - the clock was set to 4 May 2007. Setting it to the correct date fixed the issue!

Machine is now loading in the OS.

• Like 1

Ok, on some advice from a guru I deleted all my boot images except the two defualt original images.

I am a bit confused as to why you had to this?

Do you not specify which boot image to use in TS...so therefore just replace the custom boot.wim with original default boot.wims without deleting them!

h

The Bios clock was wrong. Checked mine and sure enough - the clock was set to 4 May 2007. Setting it to the correct date fixed the issue!

Now this is interesting as I have a couple of machines that fail to load after wim download and thought i had tried everything...until now..must check this out!! Cheers!

There was another post on this, yes the BIOS clock makes all the difference in the world. Ensure it is set correctly and everything will go smooth. Glad you got it worked out. Too bad I didn't see your post beforehand to give you the answer without having to figure it out for yourself. But at least now you know :)