P.Keen

Task Sequence Fails - 3 Steps

Hi,

I'm trying to do a TS deployment of a series of steps , basically uninstall, deleted a keys etc then install latest version. All with restarts in TS steps and no boot image as it is all just software. A TS shouldn't need a bootimage set to it unless its required to boot into winpe is that correct?

Its kinda like

step 1 - uninstall old version

restart

step 2 - clean up some reg keys etc

restart

step 3 - install latest version.

It fails SCCM 2012 is bad for giving more information how do I found out what exactly went wrong? Which logs etc? Is SCCM 2012 bad for reporting or is it just my system?

SCCM reports "the task sequence manager could not successfully complete execution of the task sequence" no more information given.

well considering it's a TS that you are deploying it should be visually seen at which task it fails at to start with.

deploy each part of your task individually and see which tasks work and from here you will see which one is failing(maybe they all are). It is recommended to have each deployment tested individually before trying a deployment with multiple tasks attached.

All with restarts in TS steps and no boot image as it is all just software. A TS shouldn't need a bootimage set to it unless its required to boot into winpe is that correct?

Yes no need for boot image in a custom TS if only deploying software!!

Rocket Man

Thanks for your reply. I watched it and it fails at step 1, however running the step 1 script works perfectly.

How to troubleshoot further? What logs should I be looking at?

This always happens to me, works fine as a script then try to send the script to the machine and it fails.

Have you allowed the software packages to be deployed as a part of a TS??

It is specified in the properties of the program in the advanced tab(I think)......

If you have not configured this then this is what could be wrong, it will fail immediately if tried to deployed as part of a TS!

Failed to invoke Execution Manager to Install Software for PackageID='CDC00064' ProgramID='SOE4-Step1' AdvertID='CDC20035' hr=0x80004005 InstallSoftware 4/12/2012 11:44:10 AM 1732 (0x06C4)

InstallSoftware failed, hr=0x80004005 InstallSoftware 4/12/2012 11:44:10 AM 1732 (0x06C4)

Install Software failed, hr=0x80004005 InstallSoftware 4/12/2012 11:44:10 AM 1732 (0x06C4)

Failed to run the action: Step 1 - SOE 4 - Uninstall.

Unspecified error (Error: 80004005; Source: Windows) TSManager 4/12/2012 11:44:10 AM 3752 (0x0EA8)

Is from smsts.log

well have you tested the script running in system context using psexec ? how are you doing the restart ? as the built in step or some other way ?

Hi Anyweb,

How does on test a script in system context using psexec? Restart is just another TS step.

EDIT: I think I know what you mean, do you mean push the scipt to a machine using psexec? Never thought of that as a test thats a good idea I will try that. I tried to push the first line of the script (msiexec uninstall) using psexec and it failed with error code 1603. I will do some searching on this code. Thanks anyweb and Rocketman