lightiv

Task Sequence Fails After Applying Data Image 1 - Code 0x80004005

What's the data image good for? Seems you didn't specify a valid drive for the image to apply to.

There are no more volumes available for use.

The requested target could not be resolved to a valid volume on this computer. Check your task sequence to ensure this drive is correct and that it is being created

Ok, taking a closer look at the log file I believe this is the offending lines:

<![LOG[The requested target could not be resolved to a valid volume on this computer. Check your task sequence to ensure this drive is correct and that it is being created

The parameter is incorrect. (Error: 80070057; Source: Windows)]LOG]!><time="12:51:33.656+480" date="12-07-2012" component="ApplyOperatingSystem" context="" type="3" thread="1584" file="installcommon.cpp:633">

<![LOG[ResolveTarget( g_Target, g_InstallType == InstallType_DataImage, targetVolume ), HRESULT=80004005 (e:\nts_sccm_release\sms\client\osdeployment\applyos\applyos.cpp,453)]LOG]!><time="12:51:33.656+480" date="12-07-2012" component="ApplyOperatingSystem" context="" type="0" thread="1584" file="applyos.cpp:453">

<![LOG[Process completed with exit code 2147500037]LOG]!><time="12:51:33.718+480" date="12-07-2012" component="TSManager" context="" type="1" thread="1768" file="commandline.cpp:1098">

<![LOG[!--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------!]LOG]!><time="12:51:33.734+480" date="12-07-2012" component="TSManager" context="" type="1" thread="1768" file="instruction.cxx:3011">

<![LOG[Failed to run the action: Apply Data Image 1.

What exactly is Data Image 1? Is it the hidden 100MB boot partition for Windows? It appears to me that it is having a problem find the correct volume to apply the image to.

Here is the setting for TS Apply Data Image 1

post-17377-0-83939500-1355158450_thumb.png

The Apply Operating System step before this is set to Image 2 -2

Hi Peter, I see you responded while I was composing the above. Using the Wizard I do not recall being given choice was to what would be installed where. I expected that SCCM would put the needed partition/volumes in the right spot. I guess I need to know what the Data Image 1 is. I am thinking it may be the hidden Win 7 boot partition but I don't know. If not then maybe it can be deleted. Oh, I told the sequence to keep the user state on the hard disk so it would not be sent to the server (to save bandwidth and speed). That might be what this is.

Forget about the data image then. If it's really the BDE partition it's not needed. Windows will apply the correct files for the BDE partiton itself. if the partition exists on your machine.

Just by the way. The correct partition would be be Disk 0 Partition 0.

Move the apply data image1 directly above the apply OS task...in the partiotion task you will see 2 partitions the 1st one been very small approx 100mb this is the apply data image1 thus the reason as to why you have to move it above the apply OS task, also in partition task select the second partition and edit it make it install on 100% of the rest of the disk(this is your C drive) and also name the partition if you like!!

I have some images that have this apply data image after I have captured from a VM, and when I create an OS image and TS out of it I have the same tasks(apply data image 1 and apply OS), i do the above and it works for me, no reason as to why it should not work for you!! Remove the capture files and remove the capture windows settings of the task sequence and see how it go's..

This image is same as your TS except i moved the apply data image above the apply OS

1.PNG

This one shows the the 100 mb partition(this is the apply data image and by default is above the main primary partition thus the reason as to why you have to move it above the apply OS)

2.PNG

He has no partitioning step in his task sequence.

If you use MDT you can easily create the BDE Partition by adding 3 new steps after the apply OS step.

- use toolkit package

- gather

- run command line (cscript.exe "%ScriptRoot%\ZTIBde.wsf" /debug:TRUE)

This will create a new BDE partition if none exists. It also applies the boot manager and makes it the boot partition.

Hey guys, thanks for the help.

Peter, after I delete the Apply Data Image 1 step and redeployed the TS everything worked. :) The first test VM was Vista and I will try XP today.

Rocket Man, the reason I do not have any partitioning is that we want to preserve the exiting hard drive in case the user has data on it outside of their profile.

Hi lightiv,

keep in mind that you will need the BDE partition if you plan to use Bitlocker on Windows 7 Enterprise Laptops. So think about the MDT step i mentioned.

As a side note. Deactivate the "client rapair on boot" on your Windows 7 machines (bcdedit /set {default} bootstatuspolicy ignoreallfailures) right in your task sequence. As soon as a client repair triggers, the client will be unable to log on to your domain.

Hi Peter and thank. I guess I need to do some reading up on MDT. I don't know if I have access to it or not.

As for deactivating the "Client Repair On Boot" option I am assuming that will be a "Run Command Line" step. Where should I insert that? After the "Setup Windows and Configuration" step?

Thanks.