anyweb

using System Center 2012 Configuration Manager - Part 10. Monitoring our Monthly Updates Automatic Deployment Rule

I have created several Software Update Groups bij clicking Software Updates > All Software Updates > add criteria:

Required: is greater than or equal to: 1

Date released or revised is between 01-01-2015 and 30-06-2015

Expired: no

Superseded: no

Then I created the software group 2015-01 (first half year 2015)

When I view my software group, I can not see which criteria I have used.

Is it possible to see anywhere which criteria I have used?

Can I edit the criteria for existing Software Update Groups?

Hi.

I've followed the instructions to setup ADR and for months it worked like a charm but something got wrong and I can't figure it out what it would be. The ADR is applied to the collection but after an OSD to the computer not all Office and Windows updates are installed, searched the logs but I don't exactly wich order to troubleshoot. If i manually download the updates there is a whole list op 57 updates.

TIA.

Harmen

Not to say that these are the only reasons, but we've seen similar behavior in our environment a few scenarios:

1. There are a handful of updates that require a reboot before other updates can be installed. If one of these is being installed during OSD and you haven't accommodated for this, you'll end up needing to do more patches later. You can either modify the TS to do multiple rounds of patching with planned updates in the TS, or update the image to include more patches from the get-go.

2. Something else (e.g. software installation that runs before patching) causing a delayed reboot that occurs before patching finishes.

3. Depending on your setup, Office updates may not get installed during the task sequence at all, and you can end up with only Windows updates being installed, and then needing to do the Office patches later. If this is the case, you should be able to change a setting during the task sequence to allow Office patches to run during your Apply Updates step - there's at least one semi-recent thread about this. If I can rememeber long enough, I'll see if I can dig it up.

@Jaybone

Thanks for the reply.

1. The problem of deploying updates is after the OSD, the ADR rule with the Windows Updates won't run.

2. I've some WU in the image when created the image, but after a few months the updates grow so the ADR rule had to push them to the workstations and that stucks.

which logs should I retrace in the correct order to identify the problem

you should be updating your OSD image quarterly with all the latest updates installed so that you don't have a ton to install as the year goes on and more updates are released. This will cut down the time it takes to image and the amount of updates that are required to install during or after the imaging process.

Yes I know and I will do that but I was wondering why stopped the updateing of my machines, I want to find a correct solution. It seems it happened on the x86 image not the x64 image, something to do with memory.

Net stop wuauserv, Sc config wuauserv type= own, Net start wuauserv kick off some updates but not all

Hello everyone,

thanks for this great how-to article!

I have some questions regarding the ADR and client behaviour.

When the ADR runs the next time and updates the existing software update package with the content of the newly created software update group, do the clients have to download the whole package again or do they scan the SUP like they do in a WSUS environment to download only the needed updates?

As far as I know, in a task sequence an update package has to be downloaded completely, before the required updates are installed, right?

Is the software update package getting bigger everytime the ADR finds new updates?

I don´t want my clients to download the complete package again and again, especially when its getting bigger every patchday.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Thanks a lot for this documentation ..

After following your steps .. I can see the this message on content status "Successfully distributed content"

On client side we did not get a message or any notification for software installation or update.

Any suggestion please ..

Thanks once again

Best

Hussain