rmuhammadali

Domain Controller Issue

Question

Dear All,

I have a network of 25 Client Machines with Server 2008 R2 Active Directory Installed. Its the only Active Directory server in my network with no additional one, the problem is last day it was crashed.

I install Active Directory server on another machine with same domain but the clients are unable to connect with domain controller. please help me out to solve this issue.

waiting for a prompt response from all of you.

Regards

RMA

8 answers to this question

I install Active Directory server on another machine with same domain but the clients are unable to connect with domain controller. please help me out to solve this issue.

How do you mean they are unable to connect?

What method are you using?

Have you did the usual DNS flushes on the machines.

In order to add an already existing domain machine to a new domain you need to 1st revert the machine back to a workgroup then add it to the new domain!!

I could be fairly confident that your computers OU in Active directory users and computers is empty.......(So your new AD knows nothing about these machines as of yet until you re-add them to the domain)

Make sure you know the local admin username and password 1st...if not then create one before you take it off the domain otherwise you will be locked out of the machine and you will have to rebuild!!

Its because i could not disconnect and connect the local network machines from old to new configured domain controller, its a time consuming process to shift 25 lan computers to workgroup and then rejoin them to new domain controller.

I need to know, is there any way that it works automatically with minimal changes rather to move them and rejoin again.

Another thing is, all OU's, GP's and users configured as previously.

Regards

RAM

its a time consuming process to shift 25 lan computers to workgroup

Well considering you could not get them to connect in the 1st place I think this is your only option and if anyway effecient it should only take you about half an hour max doing it manually(25 pcs??)

And why would you want to migrate anything over from your old DC considering it became corrupt in the 1st place?

My 1st domain controller is not working because the harddrive was lost due to power surge]

Very unfortunate :(

It may be worth looking into having virtualized servers if it is feasible......considering it is a single domain controller you could have quite easily restored a virtual DC from backup this would save you all the hardship of having to rebuild a physical machine with a DC and having to get the network machines talking again to it..

Rocket

In single DC environment you have 2 options to fix issues the one you have.

1. If you have backup of the crashed DC then you can install another DC with the same details and perform authoritative restore.

2. If no backup is there, then start from scratch and build domain again.