KeithDib

OSD deployment driver issues

Hi,

i would recommend you to use a virtual machine (vmware player 5 is good enough) for the build and capture process. The only drivers you will need are the network and storage drivers from the vmware tools.

Never apply any other drivers to your base image. This is part of the deployment sequence, where you will use the wmi queries to create a dynamic deployment.

You also need to create a new sysprep package for XP from this cab file.

For the capture use sources with SP3 already included.

Just by the way. Do not capture your images twice. Use an operating system installer in your task sequence and not a finished image.

Theoratically you can capture a image over and over again. Install software, run sysprerp and capture it again. But it's not recommended.

So back to your problem and my silly question: are your drivers XP drivers, and have you chosen a matching storage driver and model in the apply driver package step? Also make sure that you tick the unsigned driver checkbox there.

Peter33

The drivers were ripped/backed up from the same unit running XP before I started the process, also we have used the same drivers on other systems, so yes they are XP and tested

And, yes. Unsigned is ticked, although again I have checked this both ticked and not ticked.

As I say, the drivers copy to the target machine (as their all in a folder once imaged) but the system (or sysprep) does not seem to be installing them

The drivers were ripped/backed up from the same unit running XP before I started the process

OK, rather download the drivers from the manufacturer site and create a new driver package. Some drivers even might require a regular installation package.

Can I ask why you are installing drivers in a Build & Capture?

Are you using a VM for this process?

I would not apply drivers at a build and capture TS, I would only apply drivers on a build TS.

You should try just a build and capture without drivers in any way. Then with the captured image create a new TS and then apply your driver package with WMI query!!

It is a waste of an image the way you are trying at moment due to the fact if it was successful with the drivers, then you would only be able to deploy this build & capture image with drivers out to the same model of machine.........if you try and deploy it out to different model then you could get errors including maybe BSOD due to driver incompatibility due to the fact the drivers are hardcoded in the image.....

This is the beauty of WMI queries and driver packages......you can basically use a standard image without any modifications and deploy it to any model, aslong as you have the appropriate driver packages attached with WMI queries to suit (and this can be as many as you like on the one TS).

Rocket