Peter33

Warning: KB2506143 (WMF 3.0) breaks MP Control Manager on Windows 2008R2

Hi,

we got a little issue with an WSUS update today. The server team published the update for the Windows Management Framework 3.0 on all servers.

Unfortunately that was causing the MP Control Manager to fail on all SCCM Servers :wacko: .

The mpcontrol.log showed some WMI errors. So i looked which updates lately got installed and found the KB2506143 in the list.

The solution was to uninstall KB2506143, reboot the server and hide the update. After that i just had to remove the management point roles and to reinstall them.

Here is someone with the same issue. The Microsoft answer is sorta funny.

This is an optional update, just checked my servers as I do not allow SCCM to manage them and I also have auto updates turned off, they download but I choose what to install(some extra management but worth it in cases like this). I have now made this update hidden on all Site servers.

Also my win 7 ADRs' on all sites have 3 filters associated with them Bulletin ID(MS), product(windows7) and superseded(NO). This update was filtered out due to the Bulletin ID filter(thankfully). It is in the all software updates group but it shows not downloaded and my ADR is running tomorrow a week later after patch tuesday, this is not a mistake, I do this for cases like this also, the ADR runs tomorrow and the deadline is 2 days after this each month so i have 9 days of a windows to catch problematic updates if they arise.

Thanks peter.

until microosft releases a fix the suggested workarounds on myitforum are what you should do (don't deploy this update and/or disable wmi rebuilding.)

"Microsoft has officially notified me it is a bug and they duplicated it.

their recommend fix are:

option 1: Services Pack 1

or

option 2: disable SCCM 2012 Client Health Check from rebuilding WMI.

i told them to come up with option 3. waiting to hear back"

:D LOL

Our server team is using powershell 3 now for maintanace tasks. So that's why the update was publisheda as mandatory. If you are not planning to use PS3 you don't need the update. Otherwise wait for SCCM 2012 SP1 until you depoy it. Same goes for Windows 7 clients because it will break the client health check of the sccm client.

Sorry to hear that. Client health check is an important part of SCCM 2012 from my point of view, so i would not want to disable it. You might just remove the update and reinstall your sccm clients, or disable the client health check until SP1. Otherwise the client will always try to repair WMI and create a lot of alerts on your server.

Just had to remove the SCCM Clients from our servers today and to reinstall the MP roles, because the client health check broke the MP again last night. I did'nt remove the client installations after uninstalling the update yesterday.

I hope that the status is green tomorrow with the fresh clients.

Sad to say I am a victim of this evil KB. My management points crashed so I uninstalled the role and reinstalled. Also removed the KB from the servers and removed the CCM client. My management points went green for a while today but look to be failing again. Client check failure is going up in count by the hour. Anyone know if SP1 will truley fix this issue? I know its in beta but I am tempted at this point to apply it.

I am also hoping this wont require alot of clean up work on my clients. Right after a migration too from SCCM 2007. Happy Holidays from Microsoft :angry: