Kingen

Best Practice with System Management Container AD?

If you have a CM07 site, then you probably already have the "System Management" Container within your AD:

post-1-0-26775500-1335465535.png

My question is, when migrating to a 2012 site, should i just re-use that container and set so my new 2012site also have permission to the container. Or do i have to delete the data that the 07 site have written in it?

You can reuse the container without worries. It's just a folder. Set the permissions for your new servers and you are fine.

The 07 objects will be deleted when you uninstall your your 07 Servers through the console. If you did not use the console to uninstall the server roles you also just delete the old objects. But do not delete them as long your servers are still in use.

Thanks Peter for your answer. Do you know if the System Management Container needs to exist in more than the domain were the Site is istalled? I mean for example i have two more domains that's covered by my Boundaries. Do i need to setup a System Management in those AD's aswell?

Hello everyone!

Just a quick question.

So if the information for Management Points can only be published to the domain where the MP belongs to then how can the clients from other domains identify the intended Site Server to manage them?

In my specific case, SCCM 2012 hierarchy is trying to take control over the clients from another domain where SCCM 2007 was running but it is disabled (not uninstalled, just fully disabled), and my main problem is that the clients are still rotating their management point from what I specify in the installation command, to the former SCCM 2007 Management Point.

Thank you to everyone for the clarifications and tips in the previous posts.

Probably your SCCM 2007 environment published its information already to the AD in its own domain. That information will be removed by uninstalling the site, otherwise manually remove the information.

It is possible for the SCCM 2012 environment to publish its information to a remote hierarchy. Under Hierarchy Configuration, select Active Directory Forests and click Add Forest. In this configuration the publishing to the other forest can also be configured.