Tay

Distribution points not working HELP!

Hello,

I have been having some issues with my DP's and certain packages but now I think it is just broken. I noticed we have a BranchCache GPO that was for SCCM 2007. I removed it thinking this might be causing some issues as I thought DP's were supposed to replace BranchCache. Seems pointless to store data on other computers when you can have it localized on one computer. Now every newly created app or package downloads straight from our MP server and ignores the local DP. The strange thing is that older packages download from the DP's still and it's really quick. But when I try to install a newly packaged app it barely moves since we have bits throttling for anything outside the lan. Packages are uploaded to the DP's just fine with no errors. I have been digging through logs but I'm completely lost. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2012-12-18 21:31:42 fe80::d1b:45a4:2f8:6c6%12 GET /SMS_DP_SMSPKG$/7a08531d-5735-46fc-ba8f-4c37032112e2/sccm /AM_Delta.exe 80 DOMAIN\COMPUTER4058$ fe80::d1b:45a4:2f8:6c6%12 Microsoft+BITS/7.5 206 0 0 1

Going through logs and this 206 IIS error is popping up on all of my DP's now. This is from W3SVC1 logs. Error 206 means - Partial content.

I actually created a fresh package. Waited until it was done distributing and then deployed the app. Same results but old packages still work. Today is our patch Tuesday so I have canceled all deployments. This would bring our network down if every comp was maxed out downloading from our main branch. Something is seriously messed up.

The strange thing is that all the files in ccmcache are .tmp files but the size of the app is correct. So it downloads but doesn't finish and IIS is full of these 206 partial content errors. Now after disabling BranchCache it just grabs it from the MP and ignores DP's. I'm pretty sure you don't need BranchCache for DP's right? Seems kind of redundant.

Have you enabled the client feature to share the content in the same subnet on those packages which are not working? If yes, that would probably explain why the packages stopped working after removing the BranchCache GPO.

You might install the BranchChache on your distribution points or just disable the feature for your packages. (ServerManagerCmd.exe -install FS-BranchCache)