SlcStan

OSD Task Sequence fails to run - "PxeGetPxeData failed" error

Question

I am having lots of problems trying to run an oeprating system deployment to one particular PC using sccm osd with mdt

The PC accepts the PXE advet, loads the boot-file, runs windows PE, then, after failing to find an advertised Task Sequence, reboots into normal windows XP.

The smsts,log file has the following entries:

• Failed to download pxe variable file. Code(0x00000001)
  • PxeGetPxeData failed with 0x80004005

When I press F8 as the PC is running Windows PE, and run ipconfig, the PC reports an ip address of 169.254.x.x (the subnet it is connected to should be 150.2.x.x)

The network connectivity of the PC is fine - in XP, I can map drives, access the internet etc. The boot image has all the correct drivers loaded. What makes this really frustrating is that I can take a PC of the exact same model (lenovo M71), plug it into the same data-point, with the same OSD advert, and it will successfulyl run the OS deployment. It only seems to be this PC which is the issue.

The problem is similar to that described in the forum/blog links below:

http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1644-osd-task-sequence-fails-after-installing-sccm-sp2/

http://blogs.technet.com/b/smsandmom/archive/2008/08/26/configmgr-2007-osd-deployment-errors-out-within-a-few-seconds-after-winpe-loads-and-then-automatically-reboots.aspx

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/configmgrosd/thread/939103e1-2850-4672-9676-0228dcf762ab

I've tried pretty much everything suggested in these forums - restarting WDS service, refreshing the boot image on the distribution points, etc; the only thing I've not tried is uninstalling/reinstalling on WDS, which I'm reluctant to do as it works fine for all other PCs - it just seems to be the one unit which refuses to pick up a valid IP address from PXE.

Any ideas what might be causing this....????

smsts.log file attached

smsts.log

7 answers to this question

BIOS clock is correct

There is no duplicate entry for PC - I have went so far as to remove the PC from SCCM, Active Directory, DNS and the DHCP entry, then rejoin the domain, add to sccm using the OSD/Computer Association/MAC Address method.

Still the same result - didn't see the OSD advert & not picking up the correct IP Address

The client is on the PC, yes - would you suggest removing it?

Which method of OSD are you deploying, PXE or Staging?

Will it not install even via staging?(running the TS out to it while in a live OS environment)

Re the unknown entities - when I enter "unknown" into the "look for" box on the console, no results are reported back.

Well if you have done it correctly it should atleast show the out of box x86 unknown object and x64!!

You are selecting all systems before searching I assume?

Have you tried unknown PXE on it by deleting this sytem's object out of the SCCM DB and deploying the TS to the unknown computer collection?

You could get the systems MAC address whilst it's in PXE mode or through the CLI and there is a report in the reports somewhere that you can identify a MAC address to a machine name.....it may have a duplicate!!!

Rocket

Has the machine the same chipset (network card) as your other M71 desktops? It's not like Lenovo would not change them in a model line.

This looks like a DHCP/Driver problem. Did you check the DHCP server logs? 169.254 is a self assigned IP from windows because it did'nt get a reply from the DHCP server. Or maybe you just run out of leases. But i doubt that, since you get one when you are in XP.

Is the PXE service running on SCCM 2012 server or are you running it on a separate WDS server? What version of PXE shows up on the client bios? What type of network switch are you running on? I've seen where the PXE BIOS code was incompatible with the (older) network switch code and wouldn't handle the PXE packet properly.

I think the key is in your first message - that you are not getting the correct IP while in WinPE. If you aren't getting the correct IP while in WinPE, nothing past that point matters (as Peter33 aludes to). One way to check might be to set the Host table so that the MAC address of your system provides a static IP