jrizzo

Advertisements, collections and assignments

Question

Hello,

I am getting ready to advertise a task sequence that I have been testing. I have a test collection that I have been using, but when I deploy, I would like to use the same advertisement but change to a different collection. However, when I do this, I want to make sure that the task sequence doesn't start until after hours (very important). If I delete all of the mandatory assignments, and then add a single mandatory assignment (for after hours) and then switch the advertisement to use my new collection, what happens? Will the old "test" mandatory assignments cause the task seqence to start immediately, or will it wait because the "new" computers wouldn't know about the mandatory assignments that I removed? Do I need to create a brand new advertisement to avoid having the task sequence start right away, or can I avoid this by simply modifying the existing task sequence?

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can offer.

Jon

2 answers to this question

Jon,

As long as you make all the appropriate modifications to the advertisement, you should be just fine. On the "new" computers, the advertisement would not run until the new schedule is met. If you remove the old, mandatory schedules, the "new" computers will not see them.

That being said, I would suggest that it's probably not good practice to re-use advertisements. And as always, test this functionality prior to putting it into production.

Cheers,

Trevor Sullivan

http://trevorsullivan.net

http://twitter.com/pcgeek86