JuhaK

Can't use pxe boot for "known" computers?!

Question

Hi,

I've configured Server 2008R2 std SP1 with WDS and DHCP and MDT 2012. I have done 1 windows 7 image that I'm using with pxe boot for brand new computers. Basically idea is that I install only brand new computers with this and that I succeeded. But when I tried to reinstall computer that already has been installed with my image OR old XP computer (XP only for test purpose) then I got error PXE-E53 No Boot File Received... PXE still works when trying VmWare test pc or brand new pc but it doesn't work for "known" pc's... ? I've configured WDS to answer both known and unknown computers...

What else I am missing here?

That I know when using SCCM and if OSD task sequence is advertised (deployed) only unknown systems -collection I receive this same error if that PC is already "known" for SCCM... But this case here is only WDS/MDT system...

Please help!

-Juha

2 answers to this question

The first suggestion I would make would be to check the logs (BDD.log, LiteTouch.log and SMSTS.log). For MDT, the logs can be found, usually, in C:\MININT\SMSOSD\OSDLOGS. You also might want to check the setupact.log. The location of this log will vary depending on where your deployment failed. This knowledge base article from Microsoft has a list of the possible locations for the setupact.log.

When looking for a solution to your problem, I stumbled on this TechNet forums thread in which the OP has a similar issue. He discovered the problem related to boot-p requests and the client requests for an IP address were not being handled properly from the DHCP server. You might want to check your network settings just to be safe.

Finally, it is strongly recommended to check out the Troubleshooting the PXE Service Point and WDS in Configuration Manager 2007 blog post. I realize you are not using Configuration manager and are only using WDS and MDT however, the post reviews the configuration process of the PXE settings and WDS which you may find beneficial.

One more thing, you also should check out the Deliver and Deploy Windows 7 page from the Springboard Series on TechNet as there are quite a bit of resources there that go over WDS, PXE and various deployment tools.

Keep us posted and I hope this helps!

Jessica

Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro

Haah, I visited that customer last week and guess what. He had rebooted that server, that I couldn't do when this problem occured, and after reboot he could pxe-boot all machines he had. Server acts as critical print server also, so I couldn't reboot it when I was there a month ago. Thanks Jessica for replying me!

-Juha