JuhaK

how to disable 5 in 1 card reader (lenovo) automatic when deploying win7 from SCCM?

Question

Hi!

I have a problem with Lenovo M92p desktop because I need to disable 5 in 1 card reader and I have no idea how to do it. I am using SCCM 2007 (R3) for deploying win7 computers. I need to disable that card reader because it takes 5 drive letters for itself and that makes more manual job when I have to disable those after deploying image. And there is always situations when man can forget to disable those..

Can someone help me?

-Juha

4 answers to this question

Presuming you are using Windows Server with Active Directory you might want to consider Group Policy to set parameters for device installation. For example, in this TechNet library article, under the group policy settings for device installation header, the 3rd group policy option described is “Prevent installation of devices that match these device IDs”. If you knew the device ID of the 5-in-1 card reader, you could disable it from group policy and then push that out.

I would also recommend checking out the Security and Control page from the Springboard Series on TechNet for additional tips and resource pages for controlling Windows 7.

Keep us posted if this works for you!

Jessica
Windows Outreach Team – It Pro

If it has to be done during OSD then you could try devcon. This tool apparently has commandline fuctionality to disable devices. After having a quick look at it you could create a script that copies this executable to the system32 folder, then you could use a run commandline with the appropriate parameters to disable your device. Should work for you if this tool actually does what it says!!

This Link has the parameters that may work in windows7 also.

This Link has the devcon tool for windows 7..

Presuming you are using Windows Server with Active Directory you might want to consider Group Policy to set parameters for device installation. For example, in this TechNet library article, under the group policy settings for device installation header, the 3rd group policy option described is “Prevent installation of devices that match these device IDs”. If you knew the device ID of the 5-in-1 card reader, you could disable it from group policy and then push that out.

I would also recommend checking out the Security and Control page from the Springboard Series on TechNet for additional tips and resource pages for controlling Windows 7.

Keep us posted if this works for you!

Jessica

Windows Outreach Team – It Pro

Thank you Jessica, I'll try to avoid using AD / GPO as much as possible for installations because customer I need to do this has so messed up Active Directory, I don't want to touch it :D

-Juha