h4x0r

Package distribution issues (large package...25gb)

We ended up needing almost everything that came with our product (supposedly)...so when I created the install package, I removed what we didn't need...in hind-sight, I probably should have just created multiple install packages rather than having a single install of ungodly size.

I've read a lot about changing the cache size during the TS, but what about for systems that have already been deployed? Trying to deploy Adobe CS6, and the 5GB isn't big enough. Once I manually changed the cache on one machine, it worked fine. So, is there a way to change this after the fact?

I know this thread is old, but I was experiencing a similar issue and have resolved it.

First off, with Autodesk products, I found the admin install utility would create huge packages with tons of tiny files. Configuration Manager doesn't do very well with these, so I ultimately wound up compressing them using 7-zip and writing a script that would decompress the files, run the install, and delete the extracted copy. It takes longer to do the install, but most Autodesk products compress to about 50% of their original size, so the software download is much faster. This especially helps our VPN users who install software when they are out of the office.

I also had the "Package 'XXXXXXXX' is found in active queue, will try it later" message in distmgr.log. When I used the Distribution Point Job Queue Manager tool that is part of the 2012 R2 toolkit package, I found that there were no jobs in the queue, but I kept getting these messages in the distmgr.log file. I finally just restarted the sms executive service and distmgr started processing jobs normally.

Hope that helps anyone else who finds this thread.

--Russel