Iroqouiz

SP1 console crashes on Windows 8 (.net related)

EDIT: *SOLUTION IN MY LAST POST*

Hi,

After upgrading my prod environment to 2012 SP1 everything works great apart from starting the console on my Windows 8 machine. There were no issues with this before when I ran SCCM 2012 RTM or CU2. The console just crashes. Looking in the event log I find this:

.NET Runtime crash

Application: Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException
Stack:
at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(System.Object, System.Object[], System.Signature, Boolean)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(System.Object, System.Object[], System.Object[])
at System.Delegate.DynamicInvokeImpl(System.Object[])
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeInSecurityContext(System.Object)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(System.Object)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority, System.TimeSpan, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)
at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(System.Windows.Interop.MSG ByRef)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrame(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Run()
at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(System.Object)
at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(System.Windows.Window)
at System.Windows.Application.Run(System.Windows.Window)
at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ConsoleFramework.ConsoleApplication.LaunchWindow()
at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ConsoleFramework.ConsoleApplication.Run()
at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.AdminConsole.Program.Main()

and then the SCCM console crash message

Faulting application name: Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.exe, version: 5.0.7804.1000, time stamp: 0x50adcdf1
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.2.9200.16451, time stamp: 0x50988950
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x00014b32
Faulting process id: 0x157c
Faulting application start time: 0x01cdea5cd70dba7b
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Configuration Manager\AdminConsole\bin\Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 1671ea23-5650-11e2-be86-1803733d64f6
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

I've re-installed the console a few times and rebooted the machine.

Obviously .NET crashes the console, but since .NET 4 and 4.5 is included in Windows 8 I can't run the full .NET setup and repair the installation. It says it's already included with the operating system when I run the setup.

I've tried turning off all versions of .NET in the "Turn Windows Features on and off" section in the Control Panel, but that doesn't help.

The console works fine on Windows 7 and on my SCCM server.

What to do?

was the console installed on the windows 8 box before the ugrade ? did you try to reinstall the console on the windows 8 box after the upgrade ?