midiman

How can I speed up my client deployment time and ADR's for lab purposes.

Question

Hi, I have heard the joke about SMS Slow Moving Software.

And I don't know if it's true.

But what I find annoying is the time it takes for the SCCM client to install on new machines.

I've enabled system discovery, but it still takes time for the client to install on newly discovered machines.

What I am scared of, is that theres a period where the PC is unmanaged and at risk.

The same goes for my Endpoint Protection. It installs when it likes.

I would like to them to be installed as soon as possible. i.e the first time that machines logs onto the domain.

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks

8 answers to this question

But what I find annoying is the time it takes for the SCCM client to install on new machines.

Not sure what you mean here?

Are you not targeting machines with the client install either via Client push or update?

Are you waiting for the automatic site wide method?

The same goes for my Endpoint Protection. It installs when it likes

Have you targeted collections with the endpoint policy and anti-malware policy?

The default client polling time is 60 mins for policies, I would suugest you change this if you'd like to have client machines pole for new policies quicker!!

Hi,

Yes I am targeting my machines using the push install.

And I have the automatic side wide policy on.

I,ve also got Endpoint installed and an ADR set to a collection of machines.

For example.

1. As soon as my new PC goes onto the domain it can take some time for the client to be installed.

I would like to get it down to as quick as possible.

2. Then as as soon as the client is installed, it can take a further amount of time for the Enpoint Protection to get installed.

As soon as my new PC goes onto the domain it can take some time for the client to be installed.

Are you deploying a new OS via SCCM to these new machines initially or are you just joining them to the domain?

To get the client installed straight away, use unknown computer support, build your custom Task sequence with the configMgr client attached. deploy it to the unknown computer collection(which will be any new machines that is not known to SCCM) and make it available not mandatory. PXE boot up your machines and choose the TS. This way when ever your machines are built, they will be autonmatically joined to the domain via the configuration in the TS and they will also have the client installed.

AS for the endpoint installation take a look at this: http://blogs.technet.com/b/michaelgriswold/archive/2012/08/02/fast-policy-evaluation-only-for-new-machines.aspx

This works brilliant for new machines and they recieve policies almost instantly depending on the time you configure in the custom software evaluation and software deployment schedule.........i use 5 mins and 10 mins for them!!

Are you serious about these times? 5 minutes for the evaluation cycle sounds like a benchmark test for the SCCM environment. I have set this value to 12 hours at the moment.

I suppose everyone is different.

I've set my Machine polling cyclel to 5 mins.

But I only have 3 VMs and its a lab.

I don't want to be waiting 60mins for my clients to contact the SCCM Server for update policies.

Are you serious about these times? 5 minutes for the evaluation cycle sounds like a benchmark test for the SCCM environment. I have set this value to 12 hours at the moment.

Hi peter this is only for new machines that come into the SCCM database!! The collection the custom software updates poilcy is targeted at is only for new machines, after the 1st day of been known to SCCM it drops back out of the collection and then recieves the normal default settings or in your case your adjusted 12 hours cycle!!

Use at your own will.......there will of course be extra churn on the network if you are using unknown deployment for the 1st time, but after this use staged deployment and have your default policy target the proper collections that the machines are in and they will pull down the policies at the same speed as the scenario above as they are not new machines they just get a new ID and immediately know what policies the have associated with them!!

I have tested this in many many labs and it works seemlessly, once the unknown machine becomes known it joins the 1 day collection as I call it and recieves all software updates immediately including the FEP updates, then after the day it drops back out of the collection thus leaving no churn on the network all automated with the query on the collection of course!!

Rocket Man

On 1/6/2013 at 6:00 AM, Rocket Man said:

depending on the time you configure in the custom software evaluation and software deployment schedule.........i use 5 mins and 10 mins for them!!

I realize no one has touched this discussion in years, but if you're still our there Rocket Man, I have a question about the above statement.

What client setting equates to "custom software evaluation"?  I assume "software deployment" is associated with the "software deployment" client setting. 

The article you referenced is great, albeit a little brief on the details.  It's still a big help for me, having to solve this exact issue with our SCCM CB 2004 setup.