Question

Hi Guys and Gals,

Hope this finds you all well, and having a great start to 2013.

I had a quick search of the forums, and didnt find anything related

Also hit google / bing and found nearly what i am after.

I thought I would ask here as someone is bound to have done what i am trying to achieve.

I would like to set a condition on some software in my sccm 2012 task sequence to only deploy certain apps if the client is a laptop, and only install some others if it is a desktop.

Thus a single task sequence with a bit of logic.

At the moment i have 2 task sequences one for laptops and one for desktops. - This is fine, just wanted to know how to do it really.

I have located the codes for the chassis type / system enclosure, and locally on my box, have been able to return the chassis type / enclosure type via wmi.

I have also seen this is alot easier if you integrate mdt 2012 and use the ISLAPTOP, ISDESKTOP, IS SERVER env vars.

I have also seen the "check to see if has a battery >0" example somewhere on google.

Using chass/enclosure as the condition is better than battery>0

HOWEVER.... how easy is it to do the same thing without installing MDT

I was thinking wmi, but cant seem to get my command prompt syntax to be valid within sccm.

Has anyone done this or similar before ? And if so - could you point me in any direction.

As always, any help is really appreciated,

Thanks and regards,

WAZZIE

4 answers to this question

i did find this in the forums here :

http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/563-how-can-i-target-applications-to-specific-hardware/page__hl__conditions#entry804

Problem is this is a bit specific to latitudes / dell equip.

We use dell latitudes, so this is a feasible answer,

However what if we change supplier, this would mean we will need to keep an eye on this condition and ensure we target laptops correctly with any new changes to model / make.

Anything similar for systemenclosure / chassistype in wmi ?

Again, thanks for taking the time to have a look, and hopefully someone has done something similar.

Have you tried plain old collection variables? (Not sure if it will work but it's worth a try!!)

If you have your SCCM collections divided into 2 collections i;e laptop collection and Desktop collection, you could place a collection variable in both collections i:e

LAPTOP Collection: Install Laptop Software = true

DESKTOP Collection: Install Desktop Software=true

Then on your TS you could have 2 install applications tasks grouped to segregate the models i:e

The 1st application task in your TS could have a group called laptop software with the appropriate applications specified for laptops and then on the actual group folder specify a condition Install Laptop Software = true

The 2nd application task in your TS could have a group called desktop software with the appropriate applications specified for desktops and then on the actual group folder specify the condition Install desktop software = true

The theory behind this is when you deploy your TS to both collections when it comes to the time of installing the applications it will check against the variables set, so if it is the laptop collection it will install the laptop grouped applications and vice versa!!

Give it a go and see :rolleyes: Again I am not sure if this works!!

Thanks all - some good thoughts, insight and things to try here.

I will try a few things in my lab and see which fits my work environment best.

Thankyou and regards,

WAZZIE