BzowK

Help! - BIG Issue with Primary DP After Updating to SP1

Good Morning -

Last night, I updated our production SCCM 2012 to SP1. I was very careful to check all I could before doing so. The install seemed to go fine and a few tests passed when I was on the primary server.

This morning, I tried to open the Admin COnsole isntalled on my workstation and found it wouldn't connect to the site. After running the console installation again, it worked. Easy, right? Just deploy the console to a collection to all who have it installed? I tried to do so, but it never deployed.

Here's why - My primary DP (only local one) isn't updating content. My other 3 remote ones are. I checked the logs and here's what I found:

Console / Monitoring

• Distribution Manager failed to find or create the defined share or volume on distribution
  • Distribution Manager failed to process package "SCCM Console SP1"

distmgr.log

• Failed to set share security on share \\ABCSCCM02.domain.com\SMSSIG$. Error = 5
  • Failed to set access security on share SMSSIG$ on server ABCSCCM02.domain.com
  • DPConnection::Disconnect: Revert to self
  • Cannot find or create the signature share.
  • STATMSG: ID=2324 SEV=E LEV=M SOURCE="SMS Server" COMP="SMS_DISTRIBUTION_MANAGER" SYS=ABCSCCM02.domain.com SITE=ABC PID=2340 TID=6220 GMTDATE=Tue Jan 08 15:16:35.474 2013 ISTR0="["Display=\\BNASCCM02.bassberry.com\"]MSWNET:["SMS_SITE=BBS"]\\ABCSCCM02.domainy.com\" ISTR1="ABC001A1" ISTR2="SMSSIG$" ISTR3="" ISTR4="" ISTR5="" ISTR6="" ISTR7="" ISTR8="" ISTR9="" NUMATTRS=2 AID0=400 AVAL0="ABC001A1" AID1=404 AVAL1="["Display=\\ABCSCCM02.domain.com\"]MSWNET:["SMS_SITE=ABC"]\\ABCSCCM02.domain.com\"
  • Error occurred. Performing error cleanup prior to returning.

So far, I opened the SMSSIG$ & SMSPKGE$ shares on the server and compared NTFS & Share permissions to other DPs which looked good. I also added the hostmane of the primary site server as well as the sccm service account with full rights to them, but it didn't help any.

All post I've found so far about this say to uninstall/reinstall the DP. I'm sure that would work, but I have tonsof content which would take forever to redistribute.

Any suggestions? I'm continuing to search, but wanted to go ahead and post. If uninstall / reinstall of DP is only option, suggested procedures for doing so would be helpful.

I've attached my distmgr.log just in case.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

UPDATE 1

After more research, I took screenshots of SMSSIG$'s share and NTFS permissions, then Stopped sharing it. As the post I read said, SCCM did reshare it automatically - but - it still didn't fix the issue.

UPDATE 2

Correction - the stopping sharing fixed it - somwhat... If I stop sharing SMSSIG$ then Update my DPs, I here's what happens:

1. Stop Sharing SMSSIG$

2. Update DPs on package failing

3. SMSSIG$ is automatically re-shared with correct (supposedly) permissions

4. The package is added to SMSSIG$ (opened folder and verified new sig files are created) + console reports it successfully deployed to DP

5. No other packages can be added - they get the same error.

Basically, every time I need to add a package to the DP, I must Stop the SMSSIG$ share once per package. Wierd.

Any Ideas? Thanks

distmgr.log

hi Ben

sorry for the delay in responding, was this server running the RTM release of Configuration Manager 2012 prior to the upgrade, did it have any of the Cumulative Updates (cu1, cu2) installed ?

can you (briefly) describe your upgrade process on that site server ?

Hey Niall -

Thanks for the reply. I know you are busy!

Previous to SP1, I was running the release of SCCM 2012. I guess that would be RTM, but def not a Beta! I didn't have any CU's installed, either. To upgrade it, I performed the following steps:

1. Verified I had good backups

2. Ran PreReq checker via command line

3. Verified SQL Memory and AD permissions. Had to install something small, but don't remember what it was

4. Installed ADK for Win 8 (Had WAIK previously of course)

5. Disabled the site maintenance task “Delete Aged Client Operations

6. Downloaded all update files needed to folder

7. Ran Pre-Req checker again - all good except SQL RAM & AD Permissions warnings which I'd already verified

8. Restarted dedicated SQL Server (2008) & SCCM Primary server

9. Ran splash.htm and proceeded with upgrade

Currently, I'm considering removing the DP and re-installing it. What worries me is that it's on the primary site server. If I proceed, my plan is as follows:

1. Try to make backup if possible (again)

2. Cancel advertisements which may use the DP (don't know if needed for packages advertised only during time of this fix being applied or not)

3. Run script here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/rslaten/archive/2006/03/01/removing-a-retired-dp-from-all-your-packages.aspx

4. Remove DP role from primary site server

5. Monitor DP log and wait for it to catch up

6. Reinstall DP role

What say you? Thanks!

hi Ben

did you use media from the VLMS site or from Technet/MSDN ?

did you uninstall the WAIK prior to installing the ADK ?

did you reboot your server(s) prior to running setup ?

did you review this ?