jazzlara

SCCM 2012 Boundaries Best Practice

I need to be set straight on a couple of things.

Currently have 3 physical sites, with a DC in each site. Each physical site has smaller branch offices connecting to it via S2S VPN.

In AD Sites and Services however, there is only the one Default Site, with all 3 DC's in there...no subnets defined.

1. If I setup my boundaries using IP subnets or ranges, will this work even though the subnets aren't listed in AD? Confused on this.

2. My thought was to create 3 boundary groups as I'll have a DP at each site. Then I would put the subnets for the branch offices in the respective BD. Makes sense? Good plan or?

I ask because I tested just using Subnets as Boundaries and I was getting errors on the client complaining about not being able to find the DP from the MP...even though I triple checked the proper subnets were in the right BD. So curious if you need the subnets in AD too.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

1.) No, you have to publish the subnets

2.) Why not just using the AD Sites as boundaries and assign the subnets to this sites in the AD? 3 boundaries is fitting your environment though. Just use the AD sites intead of boundaries.

1) Yes it will work and IP Ranges is the preferred method for boundaries. If you where getting an erro is was most like because you had your boundaries setup incorrectly, generally this happen when AD or Subnet boundaries are used.

2) Yes that is a good plan that was you can protect DPs, this allow you to have better control over, which client use which DP.