surferstylee

Can the SCCM 2012 Database be upgrade from 2008 R2 Standard to Enterprise

I am working at a client site and have run into some hardware procurement challenges. In order to keep the project in forward motinon a workaround was offered but it would require that CM '12 use a SQL 2008 R2 Standard instance temporarily. I have been unable to verify that upgrading an exisitng SQL 2008 R2 Standard edition to Enterprise at a later dat is supported.

Can anyon confirm that this is supported and if so point me at the documentation that verifies this?

Thank you to any and all in advance!

~marc

Garth:

What I mean is I will have the need to perform and Edition Change from SQL Standard to Enterprise. It is not a reinstall of SQL, it is a maintenance task.. Here is a URL that discusses it:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc707783(v=sql.105).aspx

The client Is at 45k but growth is expected and therefore it begs the question of whether or not you are stuck with a specific SQL Edition choice at initial install.

Thank you for the reply,

~marc

How many primary sites will you have? Will you have a CAS?

To quote the docs "When you use SQL Server Standard for the database at the central administration site, the hierarchy can only support up to 50,000 clients." And there is NO way to upgrade from standard database format to Enterprise database format.

If you don’t' have a CAS then you don't need to worry about this until you hit 100k users.

Garth...

That is exactly what I needed for my answer!! I knew I had read that somewhere but could not verify it. Can you direct me to where the documentation is located that states:

"there is NO way to upgrade from standard database format to Enterprise database format?"

You are a Godsend.