bennettjd

Creating a New Win7 boot wim for SCCM 2012 SP1

I am testing to different models in my environment to move from SCCM 2007 R3 to SCCM 2012 SP1. I have run into an issue do to SCCM 2012 boot wim's are windows 8. We have some intel p4's that we have and they do not support the boot wim of windows 8. I took the x86 boot wim that I had from the sccm 2007 R3 deployment and tried to import that into SCCM 2012 SP1. It tells me that the image is not finalized.

I have downloaded the WAIK 3.0 and tryied importing the wimpe.wim straight up and it would not. I am not sure if there is a way to take the install.wim from the dvd or another wim. I do not need very much in the wim, I use vbscripting. Or if there is a wim that i can download from someone to try?

I need help finding out if there is something different that i need to do to create an boot wim and finalizing it to work with SCCM 2012 SP1.

I have the ADK. This only uses the windows 8 wimpe. I need to create a windows 7 for the Intel P4 processors. Thanks for the reply

Ive been trying to do the same but for our virtual machines running on esx 4.1 but the problem is that it looks like WDS is using some kind of windows 8 boot loader before it loads the winpe image so even if you use a winpe 3.0 boot image it still won't load.

I am experiencing the exact same issue, and have a post on the technet forums regarding this:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/configmanagerosd/thread/8faa337b-a648-49b4-8431-49c022b96e04

Based on my testing and research this occurs with any processors that do not support the NX bit. As of the Win 8 RTM release Microsoft has been enforcing a setting by which Win8 can only be installed on processors that support this functionality. As a genral rule of thumb pentium 4 processors that support Hyper-Threading and above or processors that support 64-bit operating systems (ie. Core Duo, Core 2 Duo, etc) seem unaffected. Because WinPE 4.0 is based on Win8 Bootloader this seems to be causing the problem, even though you only plan to install windows 7.

Regardless i have a call in with Microsoft support as in my opinion this is completed unnacceptable, i will post back any further leads.

Thanks

• Like 2

I am experiencing the exact same issue, and have a post on the technet forums regarding this:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/configmanagerosd/thread/8faa337b-a648-49b4-8431-49c022b96e04

Based on my testing and research this occurs with any processors that do not support the NX bit. As of the Win 8 RTM release Microsoft has been enforcing a setting by which Win8 can only be installed on processors that support this functionality. As a genral rule of thumb pentium 4 processors that support Hyper-Threading and above or processors that support 64-bit operating systems (ie. Core Duo, Core 2 Duo, etc) seem unaffected. Because WinPE 4.0 is based on Win8 Bootloader this seems to be causing the problem, even though you only plan to install windows 7.

Regardless i have a call in with Microsoft support as in my opinion this is completed unnacceptable, i will post back any further leads.

Thanks

Did you find anything out or can you shed some more light on the subject?

I have recieived an email from my support agent explaining that he has brought the issue to the product grp and that he would get back to me with a possible solution for this type of situation. I will post back as soon as i hear something further

• Like 2

It's funny you ask in that way, lol. I used pretty much the same sentence when I emailed the support agent back myself. In essence yes they have and another TechNet user received the same response on a similar opened ticket. I am using the following thread on TechNet forums as the current forum for discussing this issue and possible solutions:

i'll try to update this thread as information comes to me as well. If you read the post by adflet999 , he mentions a possible hack that involves ripping SCCM 2012 SP1 info using DISM from WinPE 4.0 boot images and integrating these components back into a 3.1 image to in essence trick SCCM into thinking the 3.1 image is in fact a 4.0 image. A novel idea and hopefully something comes of it as we are struggling with this one ourselves

Regarding the response from my support rep...they have essentially responded word for word as they did to adflet999 and have refunded us for the support call as this was a design change and there is no official workaround, nor plans to release one in the near future.

Thanks