bennettjd

Creating a New Win7 boot wim for SCCM 2012 SP1

Binarymime,

I was following your thread, and it looks like there's a somewhat decent solution now available, which was mentioned early on in the thread, but no exact details given...

Unfortunately, the first step is a little tedious as it requires you to setup SCCM in a VM all over again, but I was able to get this to work for our older workstations so it makes it worth it to me...

1. Build an SCCM 2012 RTM server (Site code TST) and copying off the boot.TST0001.wim from D:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\OSD\boot\i386
  2. Create a bootable USB using the Task Sequence wizard in you SCCM 2012 SP1 installation
  3. Copy the boot.wim, off the newley created USB (D:\sources\boot.wim) and mount the image using DISM. This should be winPE4.0
  4. Browse the mounted image and copy the (d:\sms\bin\i386) to a local drive for later use.
  5. Mount the boot.TST0001.wim, which is winPE3.0, and copy the above directory (which should contain all the SMS SP1 OSD functions) into the same location on the mounted wim. Click yes to overwrite all files.
  6. Un-Mount and commit the boot.TST0001.wim, rename it to boot.wim and copy to the USB key in place of the WinPE 4.0/Overwriting this

What I hadn't thought about at the time, was that you might have been able to find a VM from Microsoft that already had ConfigMgr installed as some sort of trial (if such a thing exists)...this would save you having to setup SCCM 2012 RTM yourself.

I would also note that it would be a good idea to add the USB stick drivers to your WinPE image, otherwise you might get an error that says WinPE cannot read from the task sequence disk.

Now, what this means is that you're looking at LTI for all your old workstations, and no ZTI...this could be very problematic depending on your organization. Also, I believe that the workaround as was proposed will not allow you to import this boot image into SCCM, because even though it has the 4.0 binaries, I think SCCM will still recognize it as a WinPE 3.0/3.1 image.

I'll try here shortly and let you know what happens.

[edit]

Yeah, it won't let you import the hacked boot image.

Edited by h4x0r

If you have a volume licensing agreement, then you can download the non-SP1 version there. Unfortunately, just the boot.wim file will not work...it needs to be the "boot.TST0001.wim" file that SCCM creates, so that it has all the CM components with it.

Does anyone know what all is included with the modified boot.wim that CM creates? I wouldn't have a problem sharing it out, if I knew for certain that there wasn't any info stored in the those binaries that could be used to compromise my CM environment on some level.

• Like 1

Thanks h4x0r, for the prompt reply and the info. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find it in my volume licensing site. Nothing can be easy can it? Microsoft really sold us up the river on this one when they didn't realize that some organizations are non-profit and have tight budgets that don't allow hardware refreshes on a regular basis.

Let me know if you find it suitable to share out the correct file.

That's odd...here's what I see in our volume licensing download section when I search just for "System Center 2012"...you can see the RTM products, and then below them are their SP1 counterparts.

post-7827-0-27652500-1364835636_thumb.jpg