jdurlewanger

internet explorer dynamic collection

I created a collection to dynamically add resources.

here is the query language:

select SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceID,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceType,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Name,SMS_R_SYSTEM.SMSUniqueIdentifier,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceDomainORWorkgroup,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Client from SMS_R_System inner join SMS_G_System_SoftwareProduct on SMS_G_System_SoftwareProduct.ResourceId = SMS_R_System.ResourceId where SMS_G_System_SoftwareProduct.ProductName = "Internet Explorer 8"

Some resources get added but not what I'm expecting. I am using this group membership to apply internet explorer updates. Is there a way I can force systems to check against the query and add to the group?

Thanks,

Justin

Why don’t you use Software Update for deploying this SU update?

You can change you HW inventory cycle to daily and therefore it will take 24 hours for everyone to start reporting updated data back to CM12/CM07.

So I checked the client agents and the software inventory client agent is set to run every 7 days. so, if i'm thinking about this correctly, the software should already be inventoried and when I create the dynamic group it should automatically add those resources based on the last inventory cycle. I changed the inventory cycle to 1 day to see if more resources add tomorrow.

Since internet explorer does not show up in programs and features for windows 7 will it still show up in the query i posted above?

Thank you for your assistance Peter and Garth. I appreciate it.

That query does not use SW inv for it data, it use HW inv. But again why not use Software Update to deploy this SU?

The software update configuration is not set up for internet explorer. its only set up for windows 7. This was all configured by an employee who is no longer here. I have been trying to learn how to configure it myself. I have learned a lot but there is still more I need to learn.

I have been testing the update to my system without success. I was trying a new route with a dynamic collection.

Personally, I would look at adding IE to your Software Update, this your make your life so much easier.

I am trying to deploy the software update to my system and this is what appears in the smscliui.log

Site is in mixed mode. Internet tab will not be displayed. smscliui 1/17/2013 3:12:06 PM 10340 (0x2864)
Perform Action: Updates Source Scan Cycle - {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000113}. Message sent, id={69BA5820-EDEF-451A-923D-2477EAACF181} smscliui 1/17/2013 3:12:10 PM 9332 (0x2474)
The schedule remains disabled smscliui 1/17/2013 3:13:06 PM 10340 (0x2864)
CCliCfgDcmPage::FreeCallback - Detection Job is null. smscliui 1/17/2013 3:13:06 PM 10340 (0x2864)
Site is in mixed mode. Internet tab will not be displayed. smscliui 1/17/2013 3:27:57 PM 9296 (0x2450)
CCliCfgDcmPage::FreeCallback - Detection Job is null. smscliui 1/17/2013 3:29:05 PM 9296 (0x2450)

Since it says the schedule is disabled does this mean it will not pull the updates?

So just for clarification. Can you deploy SU to these PCs now?

What Classification have you enabled?

I would enable classification all but drivers, this should give you all the IE updates. So that you can deploy IE updates just as any other SU.

It will cause no problems, All that it does is tell clients to scan for each classification of SU. You them must tell CM07/CM12 to deploy those SU to PCs. So unless you tell it to deploy them nothing will happen.

Thanks for all the information. I was able to successfully push the IE updates using the software updates option. I did come across 1 problem. One of our remote sites gets the list of updates for IE but they get stuck at downloading and can never actually download the update. It just hangs. Does not error out or anything.

Do I need to set a windows update role for the distribution point? I've also discovered that they havent been getting any windows updates as well.

So until the content is out there, nothing will install. I would look at why content is not making it out to your DP.