chosenv3

How can I automatically set Paging file to 1.5x memory on a deployed server

Hello,

I know the commands to set paging file (wmic pagefileset) but what I need is a script that will query the amount of physically installed memory first and then multiply it by 1.5x.

Does anyone have a script that I can use please?

Or know of an easy way to do this?

We like to create partitions and move the page file to the D drive and leave the C drive a just 800MB.

I am deploying to W2k8 R2 servers.

Many Thanks

Craig

IMO, 800 MB is not enough free space on C:\, IMO you should have a minimum of 100 GB (total space) on C:\. Otherwise you will have problem with SU and will constantly be cleaning the C:\ to get more space.

You can query WMI to get the physical Ram then you can multiple that by 1.5.

IMO, 800 MB is not enough free space on C:\, IMO you should have a minimum of 100 GB (total space) on C:\. Otherwise you will have problem with SU and will constantly be cleaning the C:\ to get more space.

You can query WMI to get the physical Ram then you can multiple that by 1.5.

Hi Garth,

What I meant was, we keep the page file on the C drive at 800MB min and 800MB Max.

We actually partition the C drive at 30GB on a W2k8 machine and install all programs etc on the D.

So I’m a little confused. You want and 800 MB page file on C:\, but what is the script for then?

It your call but IMO 30 GB is tiny for a C:\, everyone who I have seen with tiny C:\ always run into issue at some point and need to increase the C:\. A while back I have a doc that listed that you should have 25% free disk space on C:\ for performance reason, I don’t have it any more.

Personally, I will not make a C:\ less than 100 GB. HD space is cheap and I don’t need the headache of constantly clean it (C:\) up.