rpo101

Application Packaging Tools

Question

Hello -

We are in the process of implementing SCCM 2012. Does anyone have any recommendations on decent application packaging products that can be used? Ideally, we are looking for good functionality at the most reasonable cost while at the same time allowing us to quickly package different types of applications. Do we even need a third party application packager or can we do everything natively w/ SCCM 2012.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance..

5 answers to this question

So not answer your question fully…

Can you do everything natively within CM12? Sure but that assume that you never deploy any bad applications and/or you never want to customize the application, i.e. Make the setup promptless, change a setting or two, etc.

IMO, You will get lots of suggestion as to what you should use but based on my experience, you should talk to your packaging team and get them to evaluation all the options and find the right one for them.

Thank you for the response. I'm overseeing the deployment in our organization and need to suggest app packagers to try. I'm looking for some suggestions to lead me in the right direction. Currently I'm evaluating adminstudio10 config manager edition. I'm open to suggestions. I know Flexera is popular, but the full admin studio costs more than I like so I'm looking for something more reasonably priced if possible.

Honestly, I would worry about price so much as functionality and learning curve.

Your packaging team should have a much better idea of all of the available options and even if they didn't, they are the ones that need to create the package with the software, and can tell you which one is better for them. Or you can buy new software for them but if it take 6 months or longer for them to get a good (not excellent but good) understanding of the SW. Then are you really saving anything?

Honestly, I would upgrade what they currently have to the latest version or make them evaluate the packaging software out there.

Fair enough..

It has been a while since I done a lot of packaging - I tend to outsource that type of thing. :-)

Flexera AdminStudio, would be my first pick

Then pretty much anything that Darwin suggests.

http://desktopengineer.com/

http://csi-windows.com/

Darwin has a Training course, considered by most, to be the best..