opdsccm

Windows 7 activation with SCCM 2012 Task Sequence

Question

Hello All:

I am having hard time activating the Windows 7 with Task Sequence.

In the Apply Windows Settings task sequence step, I have entered the MAK and created a new task sequence command line step (General > Run Command Line),

Start in : C:\Windows\System32
Command line: cscript.exe c:\windows\system32\slmgr.vbs /ato

and tried placing it up and down the taks list, but no luck. Can someone please help with this task? Thanks!

I

This should work if you are using a MAK key. Are you placing the run command line after setup windows and configMgr task?? This is where it should be or anywhere after this if you are deploying apps/updates etc it can even go after these tasks but definitely not before setup windows and configMgr task!!

Also the clients require internet access at time of this process...they do have internet access I gather?

It works for me on the sites that I have volume key MAK licenses!!

EDIT: As a test if it still does not work log into one of the imaged machines and run the command from a command prompt. If this still does not work then there is something wrong with your key that you have embedded into your task sequence. You have left the - between the serials of your key?

i:e xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx and not xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx!

Hello Rocket Man:

Your command works like a charm on a machine that is already imaged, and yes the dashes are present in the MAK key and the command is placed right after "Windows and Config Mngr" task, and the computer is plugged into the network and has internet connectivity. But, for some reason it does not automatically activate the windows. Thanks!

The only other thing I can think of is maybe UAC has to be disabled that would be the only other TASK that I would have attached bar software etc.. that maybe making the difference(not sure though)

You could add another run command line like so:

reg.exe ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v EnableLUA /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

Attach this task before your windows activation.

This turns off UAC to the lowest setting.

If this does not work then add a restart computer TASK at the end of task sequence (this may be the solution) as my TASK Sequence starts the machine 2-3 times before it completes it.

I had this issues before on a customers site where they used a proxy server and couldnt get external network access during task sequnce. The way I got around it was to activate windows and then go to the following registy key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SoftwareProtectionPlatform and change the skiprearm from 0 to 1 before I captured the image.Changing this key to 1 Specifies that the Windows licensing state will not be changed when running sysprep. I also had to remove the windows product key from the Apply windows settings in the task sequnce.

• Like 1