MikeHalliday

Multiple W7 activations on single task sequence

Question

Hi,

I have searched the whole forum and either my search skills are bad or there is no specific answer to my question??

We are using SCCM 2012 to deploy Windows 7 across the corporate environment and I have hit a small snag.

I have 1 task sequence for the whole build process, but we have multiple Windows 7 types that need deploying.

My task sequence starts with a HTA that asks what build to deploy

1. Corporate W7 Enterprise (KMS)

2. Corporate W7 Enterprise (Academic MAK)

3. Corporate W7 Enterprise (KMS, restricted Apps)

4. Professional W7 (Individual bare metal OEM license key)

5. Device investigation W7 Enterprise (No apps or customisations - for new hardware device driver finding)

Build 1 works flawlessly - KMS activation happens for W7 Ent and Office 2010, all my apps from the task sequence are installed and the build is customised with our branding etc - SWEEEET!

Build 2 works, but I cannot see if the MAK key has been activated properly as all the keyfinders show BBBBB-BBBBB etc

Build 3 works flawlessly as per build 1 because its checking a TS variable and not installing the un-needed apps! ;-)

Build 4 fails spectacularly.

Build 5 works great and I can find the missing drivers, create a new driver package and then put Build 1 on to the new hardware.

BUILD 4 - This is driving me insane!!

After the initial HTA popup (which image to deploy), the W7 pro image selection forces a new popup asking for the OEM key - Once entered it is stored in the %OSDProductKey% TS variable

I have 2 unattend files... 1 for corporate build and the other for the W7 Pro build - the only difference is the Pro build has the TS variable in the <Key></Key> section. The Apply OS Image task item points to either unattend.xml or unattend2.xml depending on the results of the HTA selection.

My problem is that if I remove the TS variable in the unattend file, I get a full build completed, the Pro 7 is already activated but the key returned by the key finder is completely different to the one I entered via the HTA - The same product key is activated if I run the same process 3 or 4 times!!! - Whos is this product key and where does it come from?? (Is this because I am using an OEM media set as the initial W7 pro image?) - I do have a full Windows 7 Pro iso from MS that I could use if needed?

If I leave the TS variable in the unattend file for the Pro 7 build, I get a popup half way through deployment about unable to parse the unattend file and the build fails????

So I guess my question is;

How do you taylor a task sequence to install and activate Enterprise W7/Office 2010 via KMS when option 1 is selected or install Pro W7/Office 2010 via MAK or OEM key when option 4 is selected???

There must be a way of doing it - Or am I going about it wrong? - Should I not be asking for the Pro 7 key at all and activating manually by putting in the OEM key once the build has been completed and the machine rebooted?

Thanks in advance for any ones help!!!

Mike.

1 answer to this question