jhille

MDT 2010 - Ask for computername with a given prefix

Question

Hi,

Our customer wants to be promted for Computer name, but with a prefix. It should look like this:

CUSTOMERNAME-STICKER TAG NUMBER

When they are prompted, they will only type their sticker tag number. The customer name must be given as a prefix. Is it a way to modify the script called by "SkipComputerName=NO"

5 answers to this question

First off, you might want to upgrade to the latest version of MDT which can be downloaded from the Deliver and Deploy Windows 8 page on the Springboard Series from TechNet. Second, it is important to note that Windows does not permit computer names that exceed 15 characters as stated in this Microsoft Knowledge Base article. Third, and to answer your question, you could use variables to achieve what your goal. When looking for a solution to your problem I came across this TechNet forums thread in which the OP posed a similar question as well as this TechNet forums thread in which Peter van der Woude provides a good resource and option as well. Finally, I recommend reading the Using Command Shell Scripts with MDT TechNet blog post for additional guidance as
well.

Hope this helps and keep us posted!

Jessica

Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro

Thanks for your reply:)

I've look in to the artcicle on MS Technet. This is a good way of automating, but the customer doesn't want this. They would like something similar to the "Ask Computer Name" wizard, where their abbreviated company name is a prefix. The number must me typed manually. They print the stickers with the numbers themselves.

Is MDT 2012 very different from MDT 2010 when in comes to deployment shares and building CS.INI? Is it easy to migrate the work already done in MDT 2010?

First off, here is a video from TechNet with Microsoft’s Michael Niehaus of the MDT team chatting about the changes from MDT 2010 to MDT 2012 and here is a blog post you will want to read to learn about the changes made from MDT 2012 to MDT 2012 Update 1. In moving from MDT 2010 to MDT 2012 Update 1 you should not encounter any issues as the Deployment Share will automatically upgrade and you will not lose any of your task sequences or data. Still, it is always a recommended practice to first make a backup of any necessary data prior to upgrading an application or operating system.

Next, from what it sounds like you are trying to accomplish, you might want to look into using a task sequence variable and setting the OSDComputerName as suggested in this TechNet forums thread and this one as well. You should be able to set a variable with an existing prefix and then allow them to enter or change the suffix with the asset tag. Examples can be found in the previous TechNet forums thread I linked as well as the two included above. Also, so long as you have the SkipComputerName=No entered in your CS.ini you should still be prompted to edit the computer name accordingly prior to proceeding with deployment.

Let me know if that works!

Jessica

Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro