emmathews83

Need to deploy Outlook 2010 only, but let the user be able to start the install and see the progress bar.

Question

8 answers to this question

You could create a customized version of an office installation by creating an MSP file this is just one source on how to achieve this:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc178993.aspx

Once you have your MSP file created you can place it in the root of the main office media files(some prefer to place it in the updates folder and use the setup.exe /S switch) and then you could create an application from it, even though you will still be using the legacy setup.exe.(so you will possibly need all the installation files, not sure as i have never just installed a single component)

You will have to manually configure the application as it is not an msi, the install parameters would be this setup.exe /adminfile yourcustomfile.msp, you will also have to create a detection method(up to you how you configure this reg key, file name etc..)

Once you have your app created you could make it available to end users and they can browse the APP catalog for it. They can start the install and it will show in the software center when it has finished.

Not sure how you can have a progress bar with the exe installation, but if it is a case your afraid your users will switch off the machine before the installation has finalised show them that the software center will prompt them when the installation has finished!

I can get it to work fine running silently. But my Boss want them to see the progress bar, while it's installing. I've looked everywhere and everyone who sets it up sets it up to run silent. If anyone has any suggestions or knows how to do it please let me know. He wants this ASAP. :blink:

Now I've only created OS images with Task Sequences, which we either deploy via PXE or USB boot to our manufacturer. I didn't know that you could just deploy software to a computer using a Task Sequence. So would I just create the Task Sequence for Outlook 2010, then when I advertise it to the collection would it show up in the control panel under Run Advertised Programs and they would be able to click on it and start the Task Sequence or would it have to start up on boot up? Sorry for all the questions.

You can use a script wrapper which shows the user a dialog first and then starts the installation with the basic GUI. You would need to run this in the User context as admin user though, which means that you can't use SCCM 2012 application, but regular packages.

I deplyoed SP1 for Windows7 and Lotus Notes Upgrades this way.

post-10753-0-51210700-1360341792_thumb.jpg

These are the settings for an interactive program which runs with admin rights.

Whether you need an msp file or not depends on the level of customizing you want to deploy. If you install the program with standard settings an xml config file is good enough to set the GUI to basic.

To use a software TS just create a custom TS and then edit it and attach your package/application. Deploy it to systems as available, and as far as I remember with 2007 it should display in the Run advertised Programs list so the end user can initiate the install.

You can forget about my first comment as I thought you were using SCCM 2012 which has the app catalog for end user installs!!