SethCarter

SCCM 2012 Windows 7 OS Deployment Failure 0x80072efe

Question

Hi All,

I have a working OS image that I have been using to image our Lenovo X1's for about a month now without issue. We now want to use the same image with our Lenovo X1 Carbon's.

I have created a new TS identical to the one for the X1's (Only difference is the Driver package used).

I boot up into Win PE. Select my TS and the drive formats. It starts to "Apply Operating System" and begins to copy the wim file locally, but fails at 5-8% every time.

smsts.log shows the following error:

ReadDataAndWriteToFile() failed with 0x80072efe when downloading 8% of the file C:\_SMSTaskSequence\Packages\SD1000020\Win7x64wSP1 - Patched.wim

Continuing to follow the log, it connects via http again, and then subsequently fails 2 more time before aborting. I tested again with one of the X1's and that still works perfectly. I also can connect to the URL from my workstation and download the wim without issue.

Does anyone have any ideas on where I could go from here?

Thanks!

3 answers to this question

Well, I have imaged a X1 (non carbon) using the same cable, and switch so that does not seem to be the issue. It's possible that the NIC in the X1 Carbon is the issue. The X1 Carbon is an ultrabook with no built in nic. Lenovo sells a USB 2.0 10/100 NIC that supports PXE booting and that is the NIC that I am using. I'm not aware of any other driver than the one I'm using presently.