Serial

Default user profile setting

Question

5 answers to this question

I customized the local Administrator and captured the Win 8 with the tiles and also put the desktop shortcut of "User Files folder" to the start screen. I then used the copy profile with unattend when deploy the image.

Everything else seems fine but the shortcut of "User Files folder" is still remaining with Administrator name on the start screen and it is still pointing to the administrator's files WHEN login as OTHER USERS. I thought that would also change to current login user.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I have found a pretty simple process that works well for me.

1. Login as Administrator
  2. Build your windows 8 Metro Desktop as you want it...(tip: You can use grouping of icons to polish it up.)
  3. Run Sysprep as Enter System Audit mode with Generalize checked.
  4. Once rebooted....select the Administrator Profile and locate a file called AppsFolderLayout.bin. this is located in the Administrator\AppData\Microsoft\Windows folder.
  5. Copy this out to a Network Share.
  6. Configure a Computer GPO in Active Directory Preferences and copy the file on every startup from the Network Share to the computers Default Profile in \AppData\Microsoft\Windows.
  7. On every profile creation after that it will be as you want it.
  8. If you ever want to renew this metro screen..simply sysprep a new one and copy it to the Network share..the computers will then collect a new one on next profile creation.
  9. You cannot modify ones already created, naturally.