anyweb

Add Trace32.exe to your boot.wim

Question

This tip is great for incorporating Trace32.exe to your boot.wim for troubleshooting.

Create folders and populate with file(s)

Create a folder on your SCCM server called Extrafiles, put two blank folders in there called windows\system32

copy the trace32.exe file to the system32 folder you just created above (you can copy more than this if you wish, but for this tip this is sufficient)

trace32.jpg

Create a new boot image

In Operating System Deployment, right click on boot images, and choose create boot image using microsoft deployment.

create_boot_image.jpg

Point the Package Source to blank shared folder on your network.

package_source.jpg

Fill in the General Settings

details.jpg

For Image Options, use the Extrafiles folder you created above as 'extra' directories to add

image_options.jpg

click next and the boot image will be created (takes some time).

Note: if you get this error "Error while importing Microsoft Deployment Toolkit task sequence. Details: the ConfigMgr reported an error" then grant SYSTEM account full permissions on your network share that you are creating the boot.wim file in.

share.jpg

Using the new boot image

Dont forget to add network drivers to your boot.wim and finally dont forget to create a new Distribution Point and update it.

When you are troubleshooting image deployment you can switch to this debug boot.wim by right clicking on a Task Sequence and choose properties, click on the Advanced tab and change the boot image to the one you've just created.

add_to_TS.jpg

Now when you press F8 to troubleshoot you can bring Trace32 up to read the logs right there in your deployment.

btw, here's another cool way of adding trace32.exe to your boot images

http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/1e/archive/2010/07/17/configmgr-osd-always-including-certain-files-in-your-boot-images-think-trace32.aspx

• Like 1

Hi Anyweb,

Can you tell us how you can set the pxe boot image to a keyboard layout 'belgian (period)' for example? For SCCM SP2 (WinPE 3.0)

I have already done this for my previous SCCM SP1 R2 (WinPE 2.0) but I can't remember how I did it :angry: :angry: :angry:

If you are using SCCM 2007 SP1 (WinPE 2.0 images) you can use intlcfg.exe to set the keyboard layout in WinPE.

If you are using SCCM 2007 SP2 (WinPE 3.0 images) intlcfg.exe is deprecated and you have to use Dism.exe to set the keyboard layout in WinPE.

and now the 64 bit of the logviewer is available !

Trace64.exe you can get it here

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=cd73a2c5-76c1-48b3-a366-156900bb9493

Hello, thanks for the guide, I was going to add trace64 the old "manual" way..

Something I'll anyway do just to manipulate DISM, international settings etc .. to be ready with the tools available or not at our customers....

(btw how many dozen years will we have to wait before these simple but important international settings are manageables by GUI...! from a plateform like SCCM, this should be the case, to me.. But en-US is big, really big :-) not fr-CH :)

well, thank you for all the guides etc.. I discovered your forums not long ago, would have helped me and gaining time, it seems! Thanx

Conrad

and now the 64 bit of the logviewer is available !

Trace64.exe you can get it here

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=cd73a2c5-76c1-48b3-a366-156900bb9493

Is Trace64.exe still available form Microsoft? Is it part of MDT 2010 Healthcare package?

The link from microsoft is dead, and by searching for MDT 2010 Healthcare all they offer is pdf...

Thanks.