pnyce24

Can't pull updates from WSUS

Question

A few weeks ago our WSUS server stopped pullin updates from Microsoft Updates site for no apparent reason. I checked and there were no configuration changes done on our WSUS server, or the network. The only error I can get is the error you see below....I checked everything at nothing seems to work.Strange thing is when I copy the url and paste it in IE, I'm able to get to the WSUS download page from that server.

WebException: The underlying connection was closed: Could not establish trust relationship for the SSL/TLS secure channel. ---> System.Security.Authentication.AuthenticationException: The remote certificate is invalid according to the validation procedure.

Thanks,

P

WebException: The underlying connection was closed: Could not establish trust relationship for the SSL/TLS secure channel. ---> System.Security.Authentication.AuthenticationException: The remote certificate is invalid according to the validation procedure.

4 answers to this question

Does "no configuration changes" also mean you've not patched the WSUS server?

The remote certificate is invalid according to the validation procedure.

This is the WSUS server attempting to initiate an HTTPS connection to do the synchronization. It's failing because the WSUS server has an expired or untrusted SSL certificate for Microsoft. The entire certificate infrastructure for the Microsoft WU system was replaced in June, 2012 (and through subsequent months and additional updates).

Does "no configuration changes" also mean you've not patched the WSUS server?

The remote certificate is invalid according to the validation procedure.

This is the WSUS server attempting to initiate an HTTPS connection to do the synchronization. It's failing because the WSUS server has an expired or untrusted SSL certificate for Microsoft. The entire certificate infrastructure for the Microsoft WU system was replaced in June, 2012 (and through subsequent months and additional updates).

Lawerence,

You were 100% correct, after creating another certificate we were able to pull WSUS updates again.

Thanks again

That

Event will SHOW: Sync Failed: USSCommunicationError: WebException: The underlying connection was closed: Could not establish trust relationship for the SSL/TLS secure channel

Logs in C:\Program Files\Update Services\LogFiles\SoftwareDistribution.log will SHOW:

The given certificate chain has not Microsoft Root CA signed root (800B0109)
The underlying connection was closed: Could not establish trust relationship for the SSL/TLS secure channel

SOLOUTION
https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/4535405/wsus-does-not-sync-with-microsoft-on-wsus-3-0-sp2-2008-r2-servers-beca