haribo48

Install Multiple Software Packages from single collection

Hi There,

I'm relatively new to SCCM 2007 and would welcome some advice and insights on a current issue.

We have collections to distribute software by product which works well, however I would like to create a single collection for an entire service that will install several packages once a machine is added to it but would prefer not to have to create lots of advertisements that would need to be maintained and managed.

My current thinking was either a software task sequence that installs the required programs which I've setup and seems to work well for standalone installs or simple packages and MSI's, but when i add slightly more complex packages that have the option to run a different package first it seems to cause the task sequence to fail. I've tested these more complex packages separately and they work fine.

The other thought I had was a query based collection whereby if a computer is added or a member of, for example the HR Service collection it's automatically added to all the separate collections that service needs.

Any advice or guidance would be very welcome

Thanks in advance

You could use collection variables that calls all your required software, this way you could have 1 collection with variables assigned to it and one custom task sequence with an install package/application task and keep this deployed out to the collection as a required deployment. Drop your systems into this collection as needed and see the multiple software packages install on them.