Judical

Deploying Windows 8 with Applications

Question

Hello,

Sorry if this was already asked, I couldn't find anything.

I am using SCCM2012 with SP1 and deploying Windows 8 Enterprise with many applications.

The issue I am having is that none of the applications are showing in Metro.

Is there something I can do either during the deployment or post deployment that would add everything to Metro?

Thanks,

-Judical

As I poke around more I am realizing that the metro icons are shown per user and since everything gets installed as system during deployment nothing is going to show. I'll just have to create a script for this.

Edited by Judical

1 answer to this question

I realize you already mentioned creating a script in order to have the applications show on the start screen; however I wanted to chime in here.

There are two answers which are each contingent upon what kind of application / app you are deploying / pushing out. If you are sideloading apps, you will need to provision them. If you are deploying desktop applications, then you could either setup a reference machine with all the applications, run sysprep which will create the applayout.bin file and copy it as a last step in the deployment process. There is a blog post here that walks you through customizing the Windows 8 start screen utilizing the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT). You can use MDT in tandem with System Center Configuration Manager 2012 SP1.

As discussed in the TechNet library article, How to Customize the Start Screen, you can also use the CopyProfile command to preserve the Start screen layout which will allow you to add and remove tiles, re-size tiles, label tiles, and customize the Start screen color, accent and desktop wallpaper.

More resources regarding Windows 8 deployment can also be found on the Springboard Series for Windows 8 page on TechNet.

Hope this helps!

Jessica
Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro