Kevin79

SCEP not installing

Question

I having an issue with SCEP on a few of my Windows XP machines. They all had SCEP installed on them with SCCM 2012. I upgraded my environment to SCCM 2012 SP1 so there was a new version of SCEP. The computers were set to automatically update the SCCM and SCEP clients. Most computers updated fine. I have 3 though that won't install the new version though. SCCM uninstalled the old version automatically but when trying to install the new version it fails. When I try to install it manually, it either asks for the path to a file (epp.msi or FEPClient.msi) and no matter where I point it to, it says that the file is not a valid installation package and won't let me continue or it fails with the error code 0x80070645. I search Google but didn't find anything helpful. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Check for some leftovers of SCEP in the registry of the client HKLM\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\uninstall.

If there is nothing uninstall the SCCM Client, reboot the machine, and then remove the registry key HKLM\software\microsoft\sms.

You may need to first search through the registry for other SCEP related keys and kill those as well. Maybe start by searching for "endpoint protection". And of course, back up the registry first - just in case...