wmmayms

Create your own rightclick Option within SMS Tools

Question

This guide will show you how to create your own rightclick Options within SMS Tools.

In my guide i will create an Option that links to a the report: 131, "All advertisements for a specific computer"

This is how it might look after you finish my guide :)

post-2500-1237886186_thumb.jpg

Firstly! Make sure that you have "SMS Console Additions V1.4" or better installed. If you don´t have this great set of tools you can download them from this link: http://offshore-it.co.uk/smstools.html

This guide is made for SMS 2003, it is not tested on SCCM 2007. but it should work in much the same way...

1. Open "regedit" on a computer/server where you have SMS Console+SMS Console Additions installed.

2. Highlight HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and make a search for "**** Shell Tools ****"

3. This should get you here:

post-2500-1237887427_thumb.jpg

4. Now rightclick the Key: "SMS_Tools" Choose New --> Key

post-2500-1237887639_thumb.jpg

5. Give your new key a good name (depending on how you name this key it will end up in diffrent places in the meny, for example "0" will end up at the top and "Z" will end up at the bottom)

I choose to name my key: "WMMAYMS 1"

post-2500-1237888096_thumb.jpg

6. Now rightclick on your newly created key (in my case "WMMAYMS 1"). Choose New --> String Value

post-2500-1237888507_thumb.jpg

7. name your new String value to "Name".

post-2500-1237888682_thumb.jpg

8. Now rightclick on the name value and choose modify.

post-2500-1237888816_thumb.jpg

9. Give your key a good title because what write here will show in the console :)

I Choose to write: "**** Reports ****"

post-2500-1237888962_thumb.jpg

10. If you look into your console now it will look something liek this:

post-2500-1237889307_thumb.jpg

11. Now go back to regedit and create a new key, just like we did above. Give it a good name.

I Choose to give my key the name "WMMAYMS 2"

post-2500-1237889499_thumb.jpg

12. Now Add 3 String values in this key.

Name them: "Name", "Description" and "Commandline"

post-2500-1237889677_thumb.jpg

13. Now it is time to add value to these string rightclick and choose modify.

The "Name" String should have the a value explaining what this command does. I Choose to set mine to: "Advertisements"

The "Description" String should have a value with verbose information about this command. I Choose to set mine to: "Displays all of the advertisements that apply to a specified computer"

The "CommandLine" should have the commandline required to run your report/action. i Choose to set mine to:

"c:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" "http://[color="#2E8B57"]<SMS_Reporting_Server>[/color]/SMSReporting_[color="#2E8B57"]<SMS_Site_Code>[/color]/Report.asp?ReportID=131&ComputerName=##SUB:NetBIOSName##"

Change <SMS_Reporting_Server> to your SMS Reporting server

Change <SMS_Site_Code> to your site code

If you only have one site then you must not enter any sitecode! Try the link to make sure that it works!

This command will open up Internet Explorer (make sure that the path is correct) and run report 131 with the parameter set to the computer on which you rightclick.

It should look something like this:

post-2500-1237890477_thumb.jpg

14. Now close regedit and open the SMS Console

15. Rightclick on a computer in any collection. Under the SMS Tools node you should now have 2 more rows, 1 title and 1 action.

If you click on advertisements under SMS Tools it should look something like this :)

post-2500-1237890848_thumb.jpg

If you are smart you can now create your own custom actions.

Hope you enjoyed the Guide

//wmmayms

5 answers to this question

great stuff, but i have to ask is this SMS only or both sms and sccm ?

This guide is for SMS 2003, but it works in a similar way if you want to extend the right click tools for SCCM 2007. I will see if i can post a guide for sccm in the future :)

This guide is for SMS 2003, but it works in a similar way if you want to extend the right click tools for SCCM 2007. I will see if i can post a guide for sccm in the future :)

Hi, to you have already found time to create a guide for sccm? Would be very nice.

Thanks