Joriz

Operating system images vs. installers

I've setup an SCCM 2012 SP1 environment to deploy Windows 8 x64. In the configuration manager you have 2 options: Operating system images and Operating System installers.

In the manuals i've been reading, since SP1 you can directly import the WIM file from the Windows OS disk into Operating System images. So i did this and created a task sequence to migrate a Windows XP to Windows 8 with USMT. In the tasksequence i also did use an unattended xml file which i created as a package (no program) before.

When deploying this task sequence to a machine, the unattended xml is not applied. I have have set the keyboard layout in the xml file. I didn't find a solution so far, searched with google but nothing found.

Just for testing purpose, i did import the WIM file from the Windows OS disk into Operating System Installers instead of Operating System Images. The different between is: the installer should hold the sources file, the images should hold a captured wim file.

Now. The unattended xml file is only applying when i use a tasksequence on the operating system installers and not the operating system images.

This is strange because should be fixed in SP1, but it doesn't?

What should i do? Should i create a captured WIM file instead of using the WIM file directly of the Windows OS disk in Operating System images?

20i6rzd.jpg

smq2iu.jpg

Have you created a new task sequance AFTER upgrading to SP1? also you have to check "partition and format the target computer Before installing the operating system"

also the unattend should work have you updated the package to the dp with the right xml? :)