anyweb

How can I deploy Windows 8 X64 to the Microsoft Surface Pro using Configuration Manager 2012 SP1

strange, what type of USB drive is it ? what bios version do you have (it's written across the bottom of the screen when you get into the firmware)

have you tried any other usb bootable device ?

I've tried two types of Lexar USB drives. BIOS version 2.15.1226.

have you experimented with any of the firmware options for secure boot, press and hold volume UP and then press the power button.

have you experimented with any of the firmware options for secure boot, press and hold volume UP and then press the power button.

Yes, I tried booting up with all combinations of the boot options being enabled or disabled. We purchased 5 Surface Pros and I am not able to get any of them to boot to USB. At this point it's not a huge deal as I found a workaround. But if they become more popular in our environment I will have to dig into it.

ok are you sure you are doing as follows:

• letting the device power off fully via shutdown in windows
  • booting from a FAT 32 USB key ? can't boot from NTFS usb keys....

Yes, I tried booting up with all combinations of the boot options being enabled or disabled. We purchased 5 Surface Pros and I am not able to get any of them to boot to USB. At this point it's not a huge deal as I found a workaround. But if they become more popular in our environment I will have to dig into it.

I to am having issues with getting the computer to boot via usb. The usb will boot on a couple laptops just fine, but when trying to boot from the Surface, it just spins, then boot normally. BIOS version 2.15.1226. Using a Kingston usb drive, that shows up in windows fine, with all the files, and is formatted FAT32. I tried to boot it through the 4 port hub and directly connected. Turned off secure boot, tried turning off TPM, but nothing seems to let it boot through usb. What was the workaround you found for the time being? I am in the process of completely refreshing the OS and will try again.

I'm also not able to get USB to boot like Ryandunt and Jonny. USB drive flashes but boot straight to Windows. We only have one unit right now to test so not sure if something wrong with unit itself. Another weir thing selecting "Change PC settings" doesn't work. I want to Refresh the PC but not able to access Change PC settings.

when booting from USB does the led on the USB key flash repeatedly ?

I was using NTFS formatted USB drive. It was bootable on other laptops, just not the Surface.

I do see the light flash on the drive. I tried letting go off the volume down button once it flashes, but was never able to get it to boot. I've handed out all of the Surfaces we got in, but I'll attempt to get one back and test out using a FAT32 USB drive.

I to am having issues with getting the computer to boot via usb. The usb will boot on a couple laptops just fine, but when trying to boot from the Surface, it just spins, then boot normally. BIOS version 2.15.1226. Using a Kingston usb drive, that shows up in windows fine, with all the files, and is formatted FAT32. I tried to boot it through the 4 port hub and directly connected. Turned off secure boot, tried turning off TPM, but nothing seems to let it boot through usb. What was the workaround you found for the time being? I am in the process of completely refreshing the OS and will try again.

The workaround I used was manually kicking of the deployment using the TSMBAutorun file. E:\SMS\bin\i386\

I was using NTFS formatted USB drive.

that won't work, use Fat32 as the format type otherwise the Surface will ignore it.