anyweb

How can I deploy Windows 8 X64 to the Microsoft Surface Pro using Configuration Manager 2012 SP1

I too seem to be having issues getting my Surface Pro to boot from USB. I've tried everything posted thus far...my next step is just trying a few different USB drives to see if maybe that will help. Please let me know if any of you find the magic combination.

Great post btw on the configuration however! Eager to try this out just as soon as I can get it to boot from USB.

if i get time this evening i'll examine (and test booting from) my usb key, i'll also verify the file format on it for you guys.,..

ok i shutdown my Surface Pro, connected the 8gb kingston data traveller directly to my usb port, pressed and held down volume down on the left of the surface, and then briefly pressed the power button, it booted from my usb key

the key is formatted by configmgr and is FAT32

8gb key.png

ok i shutdown my Surface Pro, connected the 8gb kingston data traveller directly to my usb port, pressed and held down volume down on the left of the surface, and then briefly pressed the power button, it booted from my usb key

the key is formatted by configmgr and is FAT32

attachicon.gif8gb key.png

I finally got it to work using an 8GB Lexar FAT32 drive. Looks like my issues was creating the standalone media to CD/DVD set and not directly to the USB drive. All of my testing was done using the media created this way. Then I was copying the files from the share to a USB drive. Odd that it would boot on other devices, but not the Surface. Either way, it is working and another reason I should follow directions better.

Does the USB flash drive option create files/settings needed that the CD/DVD set option does not? I assume so, but curious if in fact that is the case and what those files/settings are.

Thanks for your help with my issues. This guide was very helpful.

after a little digging, it appears one noticeable difference is the USB drive has this folder: SMSBOOT\EFI\Boot - contains bootia32.efi and bootx64.efi

from some quick research it looks like those files are key to boot a UEFI device.

yes, if you create CD media it places the efi files differently, so to boot USB media, use media created for USB only

Couple things I did wrong...

#1 had an x86 boot image when I needed x64 (per the directions, I admittedly didn't read carefully enough)

#2 I did as ryandunt did and created an ISO and then copied the files.

switched to x64 boot image and allowed cfgmgr to create the USB stick and all is well.

Great guide! thanks for the help on this.