anyweb

How can I deploy Windows 8 X64 to the Microsoft Surface Pro using Configuration Manager 2012 SP1

no there wasn't any technical reason, you can use bootable media however that will most definetly require network access throughout the task sequence whereas standalone won't (apart from the domain join)

Hey Nial,

I wanted to say thanks for all your posts (not just on windows noob). I feel like you are on 90% of all SCCM questions on the internet haha.

Can you tell me if sp1 is required on our DP/site server to get this to work? I've been following the post but have had no luck booting off the usb key. We don't have sp1 installed yet though so that could be it.

Thanks,

• Like 1

I wanted to say thanks for all your posts (not just on windows noob). I feel like you are on 90% of all SCCM questions on the internet haha.

thanks !

you do need sp1 to support Windows 8 Deployments

Has anyone found a resolution to the USB issue?

I have tried several usb sticks that work in other computers on the Surface.

Through a hub or directly connected it will not boot from it, it will work if I put the Windows install on a usb but not the task sequence media.

are you creating the USB media from CM12 ? or are you creating CD/ISO media and transferring it to the USB key ?

I am creating the usb strait from SCCM2012 SP1.

It works fine in other computers but will not boot in the Surface.

Another thing I tried was creating a bootable DVD.

The Surface still skipped over it, It will boot off of a Win8 install disc.

did you follow my guides EXACTLY, as the surface will only boot from a FAT formatted USB key....