anyweb

How can I deploy Windows 8 X64 to the Microsoft Surface Pro using Configuration Manager 2012 SP1

Hi,

thanks for the great how-to!

I'm wondering if there is a possibility to "change the size of all items" in control panel within the task sequence for all users.

Due to the quite high resolution on that small screen it definitely makes sense to change it to "Medium - 125%"

When changing it manually a log-off - log-on is needed. It would be nice to create a step in the TS which changes it for all users.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

The Boot Image x86 incl. drivers. Also while we are at it, how do you make SCCM detect x86 or x64 architecture and picks up the right boot image? my 32 bit laptop doesn't pick up the right pxe as wel

Thanks for the guide! very helpful. I have Dell Latitude 10 32bit. The problem is I can get UEFI PXE boot working for 64bit and I am not sure why it isn't working for the 32bit.

Have you got any idea?

It just says:

Start PXE Over IPv4 NBP filename is smsboot\x64\pxeboot.com

NBP filesize is 25358 bytes

Even though it is a 32 bit machine only.

I got a fix. Just update SCCM 2012 SP1 with Cumulative Update 1. It works fine after that and ensure Dell Lat 10 BIOS is A03 or later.

Just a site note. MDT 2012 does not recognize the Surface pro as any kind of device. So the variables IsLaptop/Desktop/Server are all set to false. If you peform any steps based on this variables in your task sequence you need to add an additional switch there.

Hope the next update of MDT will fix this.

I've got some problems enabeling BitLocker in the TS, this is the error Message;

Failed to run the action: Enable BitLocker.
No pre-boot keyboard or Windows Recovery Environment detected. The user may not be able to provide required input to unlock the volume. (Error: 803100B6; Source: Windows)

Any inputs?

I've got some problems enabeling BitLocker in the TS, this is the error Message;

Failed to run the action: Enable BitLocker.

No pre-boot keyboard or Windows Recovery Environment detected. The user may not be able to provide required input to unlock the volume. (Error: 803100B6; Source: Windows)

Any inputs?

Add the following reg key before you enable bitlocker.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\FVE]

"OSEnablePrebootInputProtectorsOnSlates"=dword:00000001

First off, this is a phenomenal site and I have used it ALOT, especially for our Configuration Manager deployment. If it wasn't for this site, I would have spent a lot more time trying to get the ball rolling with this.

Now, my issue(s):

Firstly, I understand that neither of these issues may specifically be Configuration Manager issues, however, this is the most helpful location I have found to try to get some help on the Surface Pro.

1) I have the May firmware update applied, and have the official Microsoft dongle. I start to PXE boot the tablet, but as soon as it says 'Start PXE over ipv4' it disappears almost immediately and changes to 'Start PXE over ipv6', where it stays for about a minute before finally timing out and rebooting. I have tried it repeatedly and each time get the same results, I can't press anything or do anything to get it to pxe boot properly. I do have pxe booting running properly in my environment using SCCM already and have been successfully deploying desktops/laptops for about a year (again, a huge thanks to this site!), but cannot get this tablet to PXE boot. I have found virtually no one else with this issue online and thus have not been able to figure out the issue. I have played with the settings in the BIOS. Has anyone seen this or have any ideas?

2) As for the procedure described in this thread, I am running into issues there as well though I suspect these are likely not SCCM related, but lack of experience and knowledge on my part. I am able to get to step 4 (create the task sequence stand alone media), however, when I choose the 'Stand-Alone Media' option I am unable to get the Config Manager console to recognize my flash drive. Let me paint the picture for you: the primary site server is a virtual server on a physical Hyper-V server in a remote location. I can not physically get to it. I am plugging in my USB device locally and through RDP settings, redirecting the USB drive to the server session. From the server itself, I can see the redirected USB device. Once I open Config Manager and get to step 4, choose USB device, the drop list is empty and I can't browse to it. Is there something I am doing wrong in Config Manager, or does the USB device have to be plugged directly into the server?

Thank you for any help!

-Mike

First off, this is a phenomenal site and I have used it ALOT, especially for our Configuration Manager deployment. If it wasn't for this site, I would have spent a lot more time trying to get the ball rolling with this.

thanks !

as to your issues

1. are you using the Microsoft Surface nic ?

2. try installing the configmgr console on a windows 7 computer and create the standalone media there

cheers

niall