anyweb

How can I deploy Windows 8 X64 to the Microsoft Surface Pro using Configuration Manager 2012 SP1

I'm also not able to get USB to boot like Ryandunt and Jonny. USB drive flashes but boot straight to Windows. We only have one unit right now to test so not sure if something wrong with unit itself. Another weir thing selecting "Change PC settings" doesn't work. I want to Refresh the PC but not able to access Change PC settings.

when booting from USB does the led on the USB key flash repeatedly ?

I was using NTFS formatted USB drive. It was bootable on other laptops, just not the Surface.

I do see the light flash on the drive. I tried letting go off the volume down button once it flashes, but was never able to get it to boot. I've handed out all of the Surfaces we got in, but I'll attempt to get one back and test out using a FAT32 USB drive.

I to am having issues with getting the computer to boot via usb. The usb will boot on a couple laptops just fine, but when trying to boot from the Surface, it just spins, then boot normally. BIOS version 2.15.1226. Using a Kingston usb drive, that shows up in windows fine, with all the files, and is formatted FAT32. I tried to boot it through the 4 port hub and directly connected. Turned off secure boot, tried turning off TPM, but nothing seems to let it boot through usb. What was the workaround you found for the time being? I am in the process of completely refreshing the OS and will try again.

The workaround I used was manually kicking of the deployment using the TSMBAutorun file. E:\SMS\bin\i386\

I was using NTFS formatted USB drive.

that won't work, use Fat32 as the format type otherwise the Surface will ignore it.

I too seem to be having issues getting my Surface Pro to boot from USB. I've tried everything posted thus far...my next step is just trying a few different USB drives to see if maybe that will help. Please let me know if any of you find the magic combination.

Great post btw on the configuration however! Eager to try this out just as soon as I can get it to boot from USB.

if i get time this evening i'll examine (and test booting from) my usb key, i'll also verify the file format on it for you guys.,..

ok i shutdown my Surface Pro, connected the 8gb kingston data traveller directly to my usb port, pressed and held down volume down on the left of the surface, and then briefly pressed the power button, it booted from my usb key

the key is formatted by configmgr and is FAT32

8gb key.png

ok i shutdown my Surface Pro, connected the 8gb kingston data traveller directly to my usb port, pressed and held down volume down on the left of the surface, and then briefly pressed the power button, it booted from my usb key

the key is formatted by configmgr and is FAT32

attachicon.gif8gb key.png

I finally got it to work using an 8GB Lexar FAT32 drive. Looks like my issues was creating the standalone media to CD/DVD set and not directly to the USB drive. All of my testing was done using the media created this way. Then I was copying the files from the share to a USB drive. Odd that it would boot on other devices, but not the Surface. Either way, it is working and another reason I should follow directions better.

Does the USB flash drive option create files/settings needed that the CD/DVD set option does not? I assume so, but curious if in fact that is the case and what those files/settings are.

Thanks for your help with my issues. This guide was very helpful.

after a little digging, it appears one noticeable difference is the USB drive has this folder: SMSBOOT\EFI\Boot - contains bootia32.efi and bootx64.efi

from some quick research it looks like those files are key to boot a UEFI device.

yes, if you create CD media it places the efi files differently, so to boot USB media, use media created for USB only

Couple things I did wrong...

#1 had an x86 boot image when I needed x64 (per the directions, I admittedly didn't read carefully enough)

#2 I did as ryandunt did and created an ISO and then copied the files.

switched to x64 boot image and allowed cfgmgr to create the USB stick and all is well.

Great guide! thanks for the help on this.

no there wasn't any technical reason, you can use bootable media however that will most definetly require network access throughout the task sequence whereas standalone won't (apart from the domain join)

Hey Nial,

I wanted to say thanks for all your posts (not just on windows noob). I feel like you are on 90% of all SCCM questions on the internet haha.

Can you tell me if sp1 is required on our DP/site server to get this to work? I've been following the post but have had no luck booting off the usb key. We don't have sp1 installed yet though so that could be it.

Thanks,

• Like 1

I wanted to say thanks for all your posts (not just on windows noob). I feel like you are on 90% of all SCCM questions on the internet haha.

thanks !

you do need sp1 to support Windows 8 Deployments

Has anyone found a resolution to the USB issue?

I have tried several usb sticks that work in other computers on the Surface.

Through a hub or directly connected it will not boot from it, it will work if I put the Windows install on a usb but not the task sequence media.

are you creating the USB media from CM12 ? or are you creating CD/ISO media and transferring it to the USB key ?

I am creating the usb strait from SCCM2012 SP1.

It works fine in other computers but will not boot in the Surface.

Another thing I tried was creating a bootable DVD.

The Surface still skipped over it, It will boot off of a Win8 install disc.

did you follow my guides EXACTLY, as the surface will only boot from a FAT formatted USB key....